cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant DSL Connectivity using DMVPN

RYAN BARNES
Level 1
Level 1

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything that might address this potential design option.

Looking at the following setup;

Two 831 Ethernet routers at the remote site, each connected to a different DSL/Cable provider (for redundancy).

Each 831 is connected to a hub router at the central site via GRE/IPSec tunnel running EIGRP to advertise routing to the hub network and vice-versa. I am testing using SAA to continuously monitor an HTTP request to detect degregation of service (which happens fairly frequently on public DSL/Cable).

I want the ability to either load balance (current *new* 831 code does not support GLBP) or utilize either HSRP or VRRP at the remote site. I can base the active HSRP host on the SAA report based on the HTTP request performance.

The issue I'm running into is with the return route from the hub (which has two equal cost routes to the remote site - thus it's load balancing). Is there anyway for HSRP or SAA to sway the EIGRP route choice for the return route so I can reliably route the return traffic from the hub to the correct remote router?

I thought of adding additional EIGRP metrics into the equation, but it doesn't ensure me that EIGRP will reroute the traffic at the same threshold as HSRP/SAA.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2 Replies 2

owillins
Level 6
Level 6

For more information on DMVPN Operation please refer the following link.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/servpro/promotions/bbip/volume_05_issue10.html

I've actually got a fully functional DMVPN dual hubbed and running fine. My issue is now I'm trying to run two routers at each remote location rather than a single one utilizing two different providers for extra redundancy.

I'm hoping to design something that can detect degregation and failover to the second provider. This goes beyond the basic dual hubbed meshed DMVPN as documented by Cisco (so far as I can tell). I would be running two remote routers per site, each would have two tunnels up to redundant hub routers for a total of 4 GRE tunnels per site. (two per provider/remote router)