cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

%Error opening tftp://192.168.1.12/running-config (Undefined error)

coolboarderguy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I keep getting this error when attempting to copy running-config to tftp,

Switch#copy run tftp

Address or name of remote host []? 192.168.1.12

Destination filename [running-config]?

%Error opening tftp://192.168.1.12/running-config (Undefined error)

I've confoirmed that tftp is running/connected,

tftp> status

Connected to localhost.localdomain.

Mode: netascii Verbose: off Tracing: off

Rexmt-interval: 5 seconds, Max-timeout: 25 seconds

I'm using Linux/Fedora3 and I've allowed access via port69 for the source in my firewall. I've made the dir, tftpboot, permissions write enabled for others. Anyone know what I may have forgotten..? Cheers.

15 Replies 15

mhussein
Level 4
Level 4

Is the tftp server listening on 192.168.1.12?

Does the tftp server need to permit the router's ip?

Can you copy from tftp to switch (other way around)?

Regards,

Mustafa

HI All,

Mustafa, how do I dertermine what IP it's listening on, and how do I command it to do so if it's not listening on 192.168.1.12..? Cheers.

coolboarderguy...

If you run tftpd -a, you can specify the ip address and port to listen on.

Anyway, double check that you have tftp config file setup properly. Debian uses inetd by default to start tftpd, but RedHat uses xinetd I think. So I searched RedHat, and found:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-list/2003-March/msg02836.html

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

I find I have to create (touch) the file on the TFTP server and allow write permissions on it. Even though I have set 777 permissions on the TFTP directory, my server will still not allow files to be created by the TFTP ananymous user.

It's a problem I should have addressed a long time ago, but I learned to live with it by creating the file manually each time.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Hi All,

ok, I did the following in Fedora3 in the tftpboot dir,

touch running-config

chmod 777 running-config

in tftp I did the following,

tftp> connect 192.168.2.12 69

tftp> status

Connected to 192.168.2.12.

but, still get the following,

Switch#copy run tftp

Address or name of remote host []? 192.168.2.12

%Error opening tftp://192.168.2.12/running-config (Undefined error)

Cheers.

coolboarderguy...

Is there any tftpd syslog?

cat /var/log/messages | grep tftp

Are all the xinetd/tftp args configured properly (/etc/xinetd.d/tftp)?

Hi All,

no, no logs for tftp. Nothing in xinetd.d dir either. Couldn't find anything on tftp for Fedora3 via Google. Anyone know a resource/tutorial page for tftp on Fedora3.? Cheers.

coolboarderguy...

You could try the following:

* Is your TFTP directory in the right place? The default is /tftpboot - make sure it's got 777 permissions

* You must create (touch) a file with the right filename first, then give it 777 permissions (as mentioned in previous posts). The TFTP daemon won't ever "create" files. It will only overwrite existing files, and then only if there's world write access to the file and directory.

* Are you sure the server is listening on UDP 69? Try a "netstat -a" to see if you're "LISTENING" on the TFTP port

* Are you sure the TFTP package is installed (i.e. you've got an in.tftpd (I think that's the right name)? Even if you're listening on port 69, if the in.tftp doesn't exist or can't be run, you can't connect.

* You could test the TFTP from Windows. Windows XP and 2K has a tftp.exe installed by default. Try putting a file from there

I don't think the TFTP daemon writes to /var/log/messages. If I remember rightly (I don't have a Linux box I can get onto) it writes to /var/log/xferlog or something...

Hope this helps...

Hi All,

thanx guys. Finally got some time to take another look at this. I found that the dir /var/tftpboot(have a soft link to /tftpboot) was owned by nobody in the nobody group. Changed it to root:root. Now, I'll double check the list above. Cheers.

* Is your TFTP directory in the right place? The default is /tftpboot - make sure it's got 777 permissions---correct

You must create (touch) a file with the right filename first, then give it 777 permissions (as mentioned in previous posts). The TFTP daemon won't ever "create" files. It will only overwrite existing files, and then only if there's world write access to the file and directory.---correct

* Are you sure the server is listening on UDP 69? Try a "netstat -a" to see if you're "LISTENING" on the TFTP port---correct

udp 0 0 *:tftp *:*

* Are you sure the TFTP package is installed (i.e. you've got an in.tftpd (I think that's the right name)? Even if you're listening on port 69, if the in.tftp doesn't exist or can't be run, you can't connect.---installed

* You could test the TFTP from Windows. Windows XP and 2K has a tftp.exe installed by default. Try putting a file from there---yes, has been done numerous times...would rather steer clear, if possible.

I now get this error with the attempt after correcting the ownership of the dir /var/tftpboot,

Switch#copy run tftp

Address or name of remote host []? 192.168.2.12

%Error opening tftp://192.168.2.12/running-config (Socket error)

instead of the original error in above posts.

Cheers, again.

coolboarderguy...

Hi All,

I'm back to the original error message. I've set the permissions corectly on both the tftpboot dir and the file I'm wishing to write to. I've confirmed that tftp is listening on port 69 on the correct nic(192.168.2.12). I've confirmed that the switch is definitely attempting to contact the tftp deamon. I've successfully pinged from both the PC ande the switch to alleviate a possible network problem. I'm ata loss with this. Anyone..? Cheers.

coolboarerguy...

Try to connect from a different pc to your tftpd:

telnet 192.168.2.12 69

and see if you get a prompt. If the connection is refused, then check your iptables rules.

Also check for iptable and tftpd error messages in /var/log/messages, or

egrep -ir "( tftp )|(switch ip address goes here)" /var/log/*

if you have to.

Regards,

Mustafa

Telnet won't work since TFTP is UDP not TCP based.

Sorry coolboarderguy, don't know what else to suggest...

Alex, you are right, "vanilla" telnet won't work.

Anyway, I still think it is a firewall problem. For instance, the infamous "error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/net-conf(socket error)" syslog message, indicates that (socket error) means no response. "Similar" to a firewall silently dropping packets. Again, this can be confirmed by attempting to connect from a different pc (linux or XP-Pro).

Hi All,

guys, I'm using firestarter as my linux firewall. I have allowed access from the switches IP to this machine on port 69. Can't see it being that. Below is what I'm doing when starting tftp, perhaps I'm doing something wrong.?

[root@localhost ~]# tftp connect 192.168.2.12 69

Usage: tftp [-v][-m mode] [host [port]] [-c command]

[root@localhost ~]# tftp [192.168.2.12 [69]]

[192.168.2.12: unknown host

tftp> tftp 192.168.2.12 69

?Invalid command

tftp> tftp connect 192.168.2.12 69

?Invalid command

tftp> status

Not connected.

tftp> connect 192.168.2.12 [69]

[69]: bad port number

tftp> connect 192.168.2.12 69

tftp> status

Connected to 192.168.2.12.

natstat -nutlp results for tftp:

udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32782 0.0.0.0:* 6169/tftp

I don't know guys, something not right..? Cheers.

Mark Sargent.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: