cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to delete existing configuration on a 501 PIX

sgratias
Level 1
Level 1

I was given a 510 PIX Ver 6.3(1)to reconfigure but have no information on the existing configuration and need to wipe it clean and start over how can I do this to get back to the factory default settings. I have tried the "monitor>" but I don't know the IP address of the PIX interface.and am not sure how to do the setup for recovering the password.

Thanks for any help with this! :)

7 Replies 7

stomasko
Level 4
Level 4

I have read that but it really does not explain how I find out about the IP address of the port and that is my problem.

Thanks

Scott

I think you are misunderstanding the procedure. When you go to monitor mode, you SET the IP address of the inside interface to whatever you want, set the IP address of the tftp server, set the name of the password recovery file on the tftp server. You then initiate a tftp transfer of the file and bingo.... you get a prompt asking if you want to erase the passwords. Works a treat.

I am pretty new at this and I am not sure do I use a direct straight through cable or crossover? I have tried both. But every time I ping I get no response to the address on the computer (tftp server). I must not be doing something right!

Thanks for the help and being more specific.

Scott

I did two of these on Monday. 

Here's what I did step by step.

1. Set up a tftp server (solarwinds, tftpd, etc) on a local pc.  (write down your server IP)

2. Download the image you want from Cisco's website.  I used this:

http://www.cisco.com/image/gif/paws/8529/np63.bin

Put it in your default tftp directory.

3. Connect to your Pix via console cable.

4. Power it up and hit escape to enter monitor mode.

5. Connect your Pix to a hub or switch via straight-thru cable.  Use port 1 (inside interface)

Optional, connect it directly to PC using crossover cable.

6. On your Pix, do this.

interface 1

server

file np63.bin (assuming you used the same file I did)

tftp

You should see your tftp server downloading the file - this should happen pretty quickly as it's a very small file.

You'll then see the message:

Do you wish to erase the passwords? [yn] y 
Passwords have been erased. 

Then you should be at the enable prompt. 

Do a write erase / reload.

You'll then have a factory fresh Pix 501.

Ven

Ven Taylor

How to delete existing configuration on a 501 PIX

Once you recover your password and login to PIX, issue 'write erase' in enable mode to erase your config. 'reload' the pix and you're back to default setting.

Sincerely,

Binh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: