Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Urgent help required in 6009-E Switch

hi

i have a 6009-E switch in my office. i installed 2 supervisor engines, one GBIC module and 48 port ethernet module.but i'm getting Error message like

2005 Mar 12 02:00:13 %SYS-1-SYS_OVERPWRRTNG:System drawing more power than the power supply rating

2005 Mar 12 02:00:13 %SYS-1-SYS_OVERPWRRTNG:System drawing more power than the power supply rating

after 2 or 3 minutes first supervisor engine LED's are green. but on 2nd sup.engine active LED is AMBER .is it a problem indication.

i'm attaching the sh run and sh tech details pls help.

Regds

Binoy.

7 Replies 7

kindly suggest a solution.

Regds

Binoy.

Hi Binoy

I hope there are 2 Power supply in the 6000 Series Switch is the Redunandant power supply on.... and functioning properly....

Regards

Prashant J Sansare.

hi prasanth there are 2 power suppiles 3000watts 16A

config are in attached files pls check

Hi,

It is possible that PS2 failure is affecting the whole chassis. I suggest turning PS2 off or removing it completely. Then see if cards 3 and 6 come up or not.

This document may be helpful:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa8.shtml

Regards,

Mustafa

hi

Now the situation is after switching on it boots and it's giving message like

%SYS-1-SYS_OVERPWRRTNG:System drawing more power than the power supply rating

i tested the switch by removing one power supply and by removing the 2nd supervisor engine.but still the problem is there.

after reebooting i can configure

but after giving

set module power up 3 (module no)

the output is not sufficient power.

Regds Binoy

Did you remove PS2? You have this message:

2005 Mar 12 01:03:22 %SYS-2-PS_FAIL:Power supply 2 failed

Yet, on "show system" PS2 status is ok. Most probably it is defective.

Check that you removed PS2 and not PS1, remove cards 3 and 6, then install one card again and see if it powers up.

You may have to try different combinations of Sup's/cards/slots to isolate the problem.

vbhadula
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Binoy,

The problem is that the Power supplies WS-CAC-3000w is not supported by the Cat OS version that your are running on your sup. The minimum CAT OS required is 7.5(1) and the cisco recomended is 7.6(9). You are running 7.3(1) and it doesnot support the power supplies.

Check the release notes :

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/relnotes/ol_1982.htm

Upgrading the Cat OS will take care of the issue.

HTH

Amit Singh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card