cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

100BASE-FX (MT-RJ) multimode fiber switches

leonleong
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know what type of switches can I use to connect my Cisco Aironet Power Injector Media Converter (AIR-PWRINJ-FIB) which is 100Base-FX (MT-RJ)? I know that Cisco Catalyst 3750-24FS is one of them. Can I use other types of cisco switches with convertor?

4 Replies 4

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You should be fine with using any type of media converter and use with other switches. The fiber segment of the power injector is to run extended length of fiber from the power injector to the switch (in the wiring closet). This length can go upto 2 km. You can use a MTRJ fibger to copper converter and use it with any switch you want to use.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I decided that I'd start my search for an answer by resurrecting this old, related question prior to starting my own topic:

I'm looking for a replacement solution for a Nortel Passport 8600 switch.

My needs are:

• 24 ports 100base-fx MT-RJ connectors
  • The equipment/IOS must be on the DoD approved products list

I'd like to go with Cisco equipment because of its universal familiarity.

All of my existing cabling has MT-RJ connectors, so I'd like to stick with that, but if completely necessary, I could switch to LC connectors and replace all of my cabling.

My 100base-fx requirement is, unfortunately, non-negotiable.

I've seen the Catalyst 3750-24FS-24 switch, but I don't think it is on the Approved Products List.

I'm still a little unclear on the differences between 3750 (not on the list), 3750X, 3750v2, and 3750E(on the list).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for a replacement solution for a Nortel Passport 8600 switch.

I haven't heard of Nortel Passport since 2005 (with SITA/Equant).

MTRJ does not exist any more because it's just as easy as getting a new fibre optic cable with LC terminated for SFP.

SFP is now the way to go.

In regards to 100BaseFx, you can purchase 100 Mbps SFP modules.

Cisco 100-Megabit Ethernet SFP Modules Compatibility Matrix

I was thinking there were some small business switches that might meet your needs, but none are on the DOJ list

http://www.cisco.com/web/strategy/government/security_certification/net_business_benefit_secvpn_dod.html

I believe this is public accessable, and there are several links to other certification

more links

http://www.cisco.com/web/strategy/us_government/judicial_corrections.html

Flag this post if it answers your question.

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: