cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover and load balance w/ 1700's and vpn 3000

ewattnem
Level 1
Level 1

I have remote sites with Cisco 1711's currently using ezvpn and reverse injection routes to establish a connection with a Cisco 3000 VPN Concentrator in our primary hub.

I have added another Cisco 3000 VPN Concentrator to our secondary hub.

What I would like to do is to setup the 1711's to be load balanced between the two concentrators.

Also, if one concentrator fails then the 1711's will create a tunnel to the second concentrator and use that until the primary is back up.

Can this be done? Any whitepapers that illustrate this? Thanks!

3 Replies 3

attrgautam
Level 5
Level 5

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_white_paper09186a00801ee19a.shtml#wp1052316

Use DPDs to detect a dead peer so that you can flap over the VPN. The 2 VPN Concentrators can be connected on LAN. Have a Routing Protocol across them to a router where ur LAN will sit and which will choose the best path

Thanks! The whitepaper was perfect. Does it matter that the VPN concentrators sit on different LANs?

That should not be a concern at all as RRI and DPD are specific to a destination. However your routing protocol if any you will have to extend it to properly for the fallback

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: