cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM voicemail configure for unity failover

ciscoforum
Level 1
Level 1

I am installing a failover unity system. I got a question on how to configure CCM for this portion.

1. Do I use two different pilot number?

2. Do I use two sets voicemail ports ?

3. Do I use two sets MWI number?

Is there a link?

Unity failover link didn't have this portion. thanks

8 Replies 8

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1) One pilot number - the subscribers must hit the vm server ports when they press the MESSAGES button

2) Two sets of ports

3) You only need one MWI-On and one MWI-Off even if you have multiple Unity servers. The only thing is that Unity and ccm DNs must match.

Hi Hinho

As you replied I configured one pilot and one set MWI, but I actually only used one set of vm ports and it works. Both unity servers use the same name prefix CiscoUM1-VI, when the primary goes down, the failover auto registers with the CCM with the same name.

Will this be ok?

Thanks

Oh NO!!!! That is not ok.

When a Unity server comes online, it tries to register it's vm ports to the ccm cluster. If two servers have the same name for vm ports, they are both going to fight to register the ports. If port2 on unity-primary unregistered for whatever reason, port2 of unity-sec will register. When a call hits the second port, you have a failover.

First thing to do when you read this post is to delete the vm ports on Unity secondary, and reconfigure a new set with different names.

I tried to do as you recommended. But when I added another sets of ports with the same pilot number using port wizard, it prompts that the pilot has been used please select another pilot. So I am actually not able to do this unless use different pilot. How can do this? thanks

Also I am thinking since the failover unity is inactive, it should not register with CCM until the failover becomes active. Is this correct?

You only need one pilot for both Unity servers (Primary and secondary)

What version of Unity? In Unity 3.x, you set FNA of ALL ports for Primary Unity to first port of Secondary Unity. In Unity 4.x, you have two Line Groups - one for primary, and one for secondary. The Hunt List has both LG. The pilot is also the Hunt Pilot DN.

Hi Hinho

I guess you meant to ask me what CCM version, right?

My CCM is 3.33. Now I understand your point. Your suggestion is, add the secondary unity's vm ports after the primary with same pilot but different name prefix. for example, in my lab. I have

Pilot 1000

port1 1000 Device name:CiscoUM1-VI1

port2 1001 Device name: CiscoUM1-VI2(FNA/FWB to 1002)

port3 1002 Device name:CiscoUM2-VI1

port4 1003 Device name: CIscoUM2-VI2

So basically

1. All the ports from both servers should be registered in normal situation. I thought only primary need or will register.

2. If the primary goes down, CCM will use the 3rd port because of the call forward setting.

Excellent.

But I think there maybe a problem: If the license is 32 ports, and happened to have 33 concurrent calls, the last one will send to secondary server, right?

Also are we sure call come into Unity always use voicemail port from top down not randomly?

Thanks

Edward

You are on the right track.

Pilot 1000

CiscoUM1-VI1 (FNA 1002, FWB 1001)

CiscoUM1-VI2 (FNA 1002, FWB 1002)

So if you have 32 ports, you would FNA

to the the first port of secondary unity. You would FwB to CiscoUM1-VI1 or to operator.

example: CiscoUM1-VI32 (FNA xxxx, FWB 1000 or to operator) where xxxx is the DN for first port of secondary unity.

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In CCM 4.x, the concept of Line Group was introduced. The way vm ports are setup for CCM 3.x and 4.x are significantly different.

Cisco CallManager Port Configuration for Cisco Unity Failover (Cisco Unity Versions 4.0 and 3.1(2) and Later)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_white_paper09186a0080114679.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: