Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

2950 losing Stacking GBIC connection.

Unanswered Question
Sep 20th, 2005
User Badges:

I have a stack of 3 2950G-48EI. They are connected using stacking GBICs (WS-G5484). The problem is that the top switch (the one with the uplink to the network) keeps losing connectivity to the 2nd switch. A re-boot seems to fix it (or even re-seating the GBIC, though this tends to be a short-term solution), but I can't figure out what's causing it.

I see no errors, there isn't a huge amount of traffic on them, and I have replaced the GBICs with new ones. Nothing helps.

To add to the confusion, this is an intermittent problem.

I am running ios ver 12.1(22)EA1 on all 3 switches. The uplink is 100 Meg Full Duplex to a Cisco router.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
thisisshanky Tue, 09/20/2005 - 07:20
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

When you lose connectivity, do you see any links go down, or any other messages (syslog) on the console ? How does the cross connect between switch 1 to 2 look (is it up or down) when this happens.

dfo-infra Tue, 09/20/2005 - 08:20
User Badges:

Interface Gi0/1 (which has the gigastack link on it) goes down/down.Since I telnet to the stack, I don't know what the state is on the recieving end (Sw 2).

thisisshanky Tue, 09/20/2005 - 08:28
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

Have you tried changing cable, or could be a gbic issue on one of the switches.

dfo-infra Tue, 09/20/2005 - 09:02
User Badges:

I have changed the GBICs on both switches. This morning I moved the GBIC on Sw 1 to Gi0/2. I haven't changed any of the cables.

Actions

This Discussion