Latency's affect on voice quality...

Unanswered Question
Sep 20th, 2005
User Badges:

This might be a stretch, but maybe point me to the proper website for such info. --My mother in law has Vonage VoIP service using the Linksys/Cisco appliance that Vonage gives out. Her inbound voice (hearing others talk) works fine. However, her outbound voice (when she talks to someone) has sunk to a level that it sounds like a long-lost eskimo dialect from 4000 years ago. Does anyone have pointers as to what I can look at, from a cabling standpoint, that might have an effect on the stability of the RF signal, and the effect it has on latency, if any? I'd like to do as much as I can, before I plead on my knees in front of Comcast.

-Alex

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Brandon Buffin Tue, 09/20/2005 - 07:30
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

Take a look at the following link. It explains some of the details of latency, jitter, and packet loss and the acceptable levels that voice communications will tolerate.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns339/ns392/ns399/ns404/networking_solutions_white_paper0900aecd800dd975.shtml

Unfortunately, in your case you can only control these issues on your LAN. When you hit the Comcast network, you have no control.

Brandon

Actions

This Discussion