Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Load Balancing with EIGRP Options

Can any one tell me how many options do I have to load balance IP traffic with eigrp routing protocol. I know of automatic load balancing for equal cost path unequal cost path and using GLBP. Are there other options? which?

Thanks.

FV

4 Replies 4

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

There's equal cost load sharing, and unequal cost load sharing using variance within EIGRP and the RIB.

HTH

Russ.W

Russ,

Would you happen to know the best way to use variance to take effect for only one neighbor. For instance, a core WAN router has multiple paths to multiple destinations. We would like to have unequal path load-balancing for one stub network with a full T-1 and Fractional T-1. If we use the variance command in the core WAN router it takes effects the distances for all secondary paths. Would creating a new eigrp process for this stub network be a solution? Your thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks

Hi,

Your idea about using a second EIGRP process would seem to be the only way to accomplish this since you can't selectively apply the variance command to specific routes.

The other alternative is to use BGP which also supports unequal-cost load-sharing using the dmz link bandwidth feature.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

First, I'll have to apolgize... I only spend serious time in the forums when I'm not really busy doing other stuff, and right now I'm building networkers presentations, so.... :-) For questions you'd like to address specifically to me, always feel free to email me, as well, and let me know there's a forum post you need an answer to, or just ask the question. russ@cisco.com or riw@cisco.com, either one.

*whew* Okay, on this question:

There's no way to apply variance on a per neighbor basis today. You could add a second process, and then redistribute between the processes, using tags or route filters to prevent loops, as always. I'll add per neighbor variance on my list, though, and see if we can strike up a conversation about it on the EIGRP Team, to see if it's possible, etc.

HTH

:-)

Russ

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card