cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Q on chanelling and trunking

sanjaynadarajah
Level 1
Level 1

[1] I would like to know if I do channelling and trunking on 4 GE ports on a 6500 series using say 2 ports on module 3 and another 2 ports on module 3,

(i) if say module 2 fails, would this mean that the channel will be 2Gig and the trunk will be on module 3 ?

ii) Can we channel using GE and FE ports on 6500 series ? I have tried this and it works but would they be any drawbacks using channeling this way ?

Thank you.

-Sanjay-

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Normally it is not a problem channeling on different modules but normally you keep them all the same speed .If the module fails yes it would fail to mod 3 . Even if it works with GE and FE you will have some of your traffic flowing over links that are 10 times slower than the GE and have unequal traffic distribution and response times .

Hi Glen,

Thank you. Actually I mistyped my 2nd q.I am not sure channeling will work on FE and GE ports as the speeds are different.

It should have been can I channel using fiber GE ports and UTP GE ports on 6500 series ? I have tried this and it works but would they be any drawbacks using channeling this way ?

Thank you,

-Sanjay-

I don't see any problems then if they are equal speeds , should work fine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: