Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP

dkblee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

What do i need to do to join the exisiting vtp domain? Will the switch join the domain by itself without any configuration when i do a trunking to the existing switches?(there's no password set for the vtp domain).

What need to be noted before joining a new switch to the existing VTP domain?

Thks!

6 Replies 6

Hello,

basically, all you need to do is to make sure that the VTP domain names (case-sensitive) match, and that the new switch does not inadvertently become the root. It is advisable to reset the revision number, by configuring the switch to 'transparent' mode, and then back to 'client' mode.

On the desired root switch, you might want to configure the command 'spanning-tree vlan x root primary', in order to make sure that the switch actually is the root...

HTH,

GP

Hello!

Is there anything that i need to do to join the vtp domain? I remembered the last time i added in a switch, nothing need to be done to join the domain. It join by itself? any possible reason why is that so? I'm trying to use the vtp mode client now so that i do not need to add in all the vlan again.(currently all the switches are in server mode, which i planned to change but am not very confident in configuring vtp)

Thks!

Hi,

What you see was the exact behaviour of the VTP. for the first time when you introduce a new switch in the n/w, If the switch receives a VTP advertisement over a trunk link, it inherits the management domain name and the VTP configuration revision number. The switch then ignores advertisements with a different domain name or an earlier configuration revision number.

Precautions must be taken before adding the client switch:

Make sure that is has a configuration revision number 0 or less than the current one otherwise it will overwrite the VTP/VLAN config over the n/w on all the switches. Set it to zero by changing to trasparent and then back to client mode or change the domain name to a bogus name and then to the main domain name running on your n/w.

HTH,

-amit singh

That is correct if it is client mode it will assume the domain when it hears it from the server. A little info below.

A VTP domain (also called a VLAN management domain) is made up of one or more interconnected switches that share the same VTP domain name. A switch can be configured to be in one and only one VTP domain. You make global VLAN configuration changes for the domain using either the command-line interface (CLI) or Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP).

By default, the switch is in VTP server mode and is in the no-management domain state until the switch receives an advertisement for a domain over a trunk link or you configure a management domain. You cannot create or modify VLANs on a VTP server until the management domain name is specified or learned.

If the switch receives a VTP advertisement over a trunk link, it inherits the management domain name and the VTP configuration revision number. The switch ignores advertisements with a different management domain name or an earlier configuration revision number.

Hi!

Am i able to assign individual port to specific vlan if i'm in client mode? Will rebooting the switch clear the revision number? If i'm setting the switch from transparent to cliet and finally server mode, will the revision number of that switch becomes the highest in the network?

What's the best way to know which is the root bridge?

Do i need to search the switches one by one?

HI DK,

Answers to your question..

Am i able to assign individual port to specific vlan if i'm in client mode

Yes you will be able to assign the ports to a specific vlan in client mode. But you will not be able to create,delete,modify vlans in client mode.

Will rebooting the switch clear the revision number?

No rebooting the switch should not clear the revision number but remember if by anychance the server is not available and you reload the client switch whole vlan information from vlan database will be lost.

If i'm setting the switch from transparent to cliet and finally server mode, will the revision number of that switch becomes the highest in the network?

Changing the switch from client to transparanet mode and then to server mode will not increase the evison number but will bring the revision number to zero and only wen you create , delete or modify vlan will increase the revison number.

The best way to know the root bridge is run this command "sh spantree summary" it will give you the mac address of the root bridge and then you have to find which switch has this mac address by checking the sh version information.

HTH

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: