Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Wireless deployment question

Unanswered Question
Oct 15th, 2005
User Badges:

Hi everyone,

I have a client that wants to use the spectralink phones which requires us to deploy wireless throughout his house. It's a very large home, with three floors and he would like to be able to walk from anywhere without dropping the call. Also, there is a coach house about 100 feet away that requires use of the spectralink as well.

I brought a 1230 AP to the site with a 2403B antenna and did some tests and came to the conclusion that 3 per floor would be required. Now here's where my questions begin. If I had 3 per floor, should I configure two of the 3 per floor in repeater mode. I'm thinking that this would avoid channel interference (i.e. 1st floor - channel 1, 2nd - channel 6, and 3rd - channel 11). Am I correct in this thinking??

Also, for the connectivity to the coach house, I would like to do a wireless connection as well. Only problem is that there are trees in the way. Can a high powered antenna overcome the interference caused by the trees??

Thanks everyone in advance for any help provided!!

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Jennifer Huber Thu, 12/01/2005 - 12:47
User Badges:

I would recommend against setting up the APs as repeaters. Each repeater offers half the bandwidth of the parent AP. You can setup the APs on each floor with the 3 non-overlapping channels in such a fashion that floor to floor overlap won't be a big issue. You can also adjust the power settings to reduce the same channel overlap. The rule of thumb for the same channel overlap restriction is no more than 4 APs on the same channel. If it were me setting this up, I would configure the APs like this:

1st floor

1 6 11

2nd floor

11 1 6

3rd floor

6 11 1

You could spread them through the house like this:

FIRST FLOOR

------------

|----------|

|-----*----|

|----------|