cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Witness Call recording with CCM

dconstantino
Level 4
Level 4

I am trying to configure SPAN ports on a 6509 to pass RTP and SCCP packets to a Top Layer load balancer and then the TLLB passes the voice rtp and sccp to a capture server. Has anyone done this and if so let me know how to do it.

11 Replies 11

jayray001
Level 1
Level 1

I would suggest to have the port connecting the Capture server be the destination for the span for the spanned port.

I dont think sending the captured packets to load balancer and then to capture server will serve any special purpose.

I have to have the LB on there because I have to distriubte the flow between 3 servers equally.

I am trying to accomplish the same thing.  I have a gateway with 28 T1 PRIs with one IP Recorder.  The recorder capacity as per Witness is 390 channels concurrently of recording.  Since I am over the 390 concurrent count, they are suggesting a load balancer and 3 IP Recorders.  Is there any way around the load balancer solution and use 3 recorders for one gateway?

No you have to have the load balancer so the rtp streams do overwhelm the server resources

Topology here would help:  What are you spanning on the 6509 (i.e., voice vlans, ports, etc)?  The Top Layer LB is connected to what and how many hops is it from the 6509?

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Topology is as follows:

Two AS5400XM routers, one with 28T1 PRIs (voice DS3) and the other with 14T1 PRIs.  Currently we have the gateway with the 14 T1s connected to a 6509 switch.  On the same switch we have a monitor session with the source of the gateway's gig 0/0 and the destination port connects to a Witness 390 IP Recorder.

We would like to introduce the gateway with the 28 PRIs in this environment, however we need 2 more IP recorders (each with capability of 390 channels.

Is there a way to do this without the use of the load balancer?  Is there a way to use the voip dial-peers or other means to logically separate the T1s on this gateway?

And where the rtp streams go ?

RTP goes from the AS5400XM gateway to the Agents in another site over the WAN.

Are your additional AS5400's and Load Balancers going to be connected to the same 6509?

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Actually the additional AS5400XM gateway is going to be on another switch.  Currently there is an IP Recorder spanning the one gateway on one swtich.

Derek Bovard
Level 1
Level 1

I've installed hundreds of voice recorders using span/rspan etc. First thing you need to determine is where you want to tap. You can record trunkside spanning just the CCM servers and gateways. Here you will only get inbound/outbound calls. Other option is to span the phones themselves. This will give you %100 recording. Also most switches support more than 1 destination port per span session so the need for a LB should not be needed unless your physical network layout and switch capabilities just don't allow for any other way. Normally you can configure the switch and/or span port(s) to span just what you want recorded and control the bandwidth per span session by the number of device spanned. Also most switches support multiple span sessions. I would say %90 of the time I would just rspan the voice vlan for the phones, RX only. If you want to control the number of phones/devices being recorded you can setup a seperate vlan for recorded phones and another for non-recorded. Biggest hurdle with voip recording is first determining the physical layout, switch span options, and software capabilities. Once you know this then look at your different options.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: