cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

URGENT: Can (no) Fan tray in a 6509 cause power problems?

lieven
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I'm about to install a 6509-E with two 10/100/1000 Blades and two SUP2's (running cat6000-sup2k9.8-1-3.bin)

They're all brand new. With the Enhanced chassis they ordered the wrong fan tray and as I write a courier is bringing over the correct Fan Tray within 2 hours. The config must be up and running by tomorrow morning and as my schedule is very tight I wonder if I still can make it. Besides that I want to check if all blades are responding well.

Problem is that the line cards are not booting in any case, the supervisors does! Do not worry about the heat; a powerful airco is blowing enough cooling through the chassis and the system is powered off after a few minutes.

The errors spitted out after boot and when entered when powered on:

**** elbid_get_common_idprom_size error

failed to read serial eeprom of linecard in slot X.

%SYS-1-MOD_PWRSPROMFAIL:Power mgmt sprom failure for module X

Console> (enable) sh mod

Mod Slot Ports Module-Type Model Sub Status

--- ---- ----- ------------------------- ------------------- --- --------

1 1 2 1000BaseX Supervisor WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE yes ok

3 3 Unknown Card power-bad

4 4 Unknown Card power-bad

Is that typical when booting with no fan tray? Or are the two line cards DOA?

On the CCO you find:

SYS-1-MOD_PWRSPROMFAIL: Power mgmt sprom failure for module [dec]

Explanation: This message indicates that a serial EPROM read on a module has failed; [dec] is the module number. The module is powered off.

Recommended Action: Contact your technical support representative

That really helped me a lot!! Doh!

So my only hope is the Cisco Forum, meaning YOU guys!

I hope someone provide me an answer within 2 hours because if they will be DOA I can blow off the migration.

Thanks in advance!

L.

2 Replies 2

szahid
Level 3
Level 3

Hi :

It appears that the card is not supported in the code you are running. Could you quickly tell me the part # of the card. I am suspecting you have the new WS-X6148A-GE-TX ( notice the A ) , that card is supported in 8.4(1).

Check the release notes.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/relnotes/ol_4498.htm

The message says that the system is unable to read the idprom on the line cards and the reason for that would most likley be the lack of support in that code for that line card. Fan tray being hot swappable suggests that the cards should atleast be detected even when the fan tray is not there.

Hope this helps .

Salman Z.

Salman,

You hit the bull’s-eye!! Damn that is what I was afraid for. Indeed we’ve got the WS-X6148A-GE-TX… problem I’ve got now is: how the hell do I have to upgrade my chassis now… only way is to grab here somewhere some GBICs and interconnect an access switch on it to connect my pc on it… damn you Murphy!!

Big thanks Salman for your accurate support!

With regards,

L.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: