Music on Hold server - multicast or unicast, but not both?

Answered Question
Oct 27th, 2005
User Badges:

Am I correct in my finding that a MOH server can have either multicast or unicast streams, but not both? Well, it can have both, but only the multicast steam will work? This appeared to be the cast with CCM 4.1(2) and 4.1(3)sr1.

My work-around for the moment as I have some devices that won't support multicast is to have one CCM configured as multicast and the other as unicast and have two different MRG to put the MoH resources in and keep the multicast MoH-MRG out of the MRGL for the devices that cannot support them.

This is not at all correct. A single server can support both unicast and multicast MOH simultaneously. We do it all the time.

To do so:

1) Configure your server and audio source(s) to support multicasting.

2) Enable any additional codecs required in Service Parameters for the MOH server's IP Voice Media Streaming service.

3) This one is critical - create two (or more) Media Resource Groups. Select "Use Multicast..." for one group, and do not select it for another. When finished, you should have at least two groups, one with multicast support, and the other without it.

4) Create a couple of Media Resource Group Lists. Place the Multicast MOH group in one, and the non-multicast group in the other.

5) Assign the MRGLs to the appropriate devices.

You're done!

Again, all CCM MOH servers support unicast, but you have to enable multicast support on the server and audio source. This ADDs (not replaces) multicast support to the existing unicast support on that source and server. And then you choose who gets multicast by the MRG/MRGL combination. MRG settings override Server and Audio Source multicast configs and give you the flexibility you are looking for.

The only limitations you could run into are codec support (addressed in service parameters) or too many unicast streams for the server (addressed by adding servers.)

Let me know if this helps by rating the post.

Michael

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
bhattacharya.s Fri, 10/28/2005 - 11:19
User Badges:

Hi,

You can configure one of the Callmanagers, acting as MOH, to use Multicast MOH and another Callmanager to use unicast MOH.

Now you will have to create two media recource groups (one for unitcast and another for multicast)and 2 media resource group lists and assign these media resource group lists on the devices accordingly. Put the unicast MOH server in one media resouce group and the multicast MOH server in the other media resource group.

Incase of any questions, please let me know.

jroysdon Sat, 10/29/2005 - 10:09
User Badges:

You said the same thing I said in my second paragraph and didn't answer my question in the first paragraph:

"My work-around for the moment as I have some devices that won't support multicast is to have one CCM configured as multicast and the other as unicast and have two different MRG to put the MoH resources in and keep the multicast MoH-MRG out of the MRGL for the devices that cannot support them."

My question is if there is a way to not have to do this, but to be able to stream multicast and unicast from the same CCM, or if I was correct that it is limited to one stream type or the other but not both at once:

"Am I correct in my finding that a MOH server can have either multicast or unicast streams, but not both? Well, it can have both, but only the multicast steam will work? This appeared to be the cast with CCM 4.1(2) and 4.1(3)sr1. "

This seems like a lame limitation, or if it is in fact a limitation then CCM should tell you it when you're configuring the streams, "Multicast is enabled on this server, Unicast steams will be disabled," or something. I don't see any such notation in the CCM doc, just this "solution."

But in looking more at how MoH is configured (the node placing on hold decides the stream to play), I suppose you must use two MRGL/MRG so that the non-multicast supporting devices get only unicast. I guess my beef is that it doesn't say explicitly that you *must* do this if you have any non-multicast devices, as the servers can't stream unicast if multicast is enabled.

Correct Answer

This is not at all correct. A single server can support both unicast and multicast MOH simultaneously. We do it all the time.

To do so:

1) Configure your server and audio source(s) to support multicasting.

2) Enable any additional codecs required in Service Parameters for the MOH server's IP Voice Media Streaming service.

3) This one is critical - create two (or more) Media Resource Groups. Select "Use Multicast..." for one group, and do not select it for another. When finished, you should have at least two groups, one with multicast support, and the other without it.

4) Create a couple of Media Resource Group Lists. Place the Multicast MOH group in one, and the non-multicast group in the other.

5) Assign the MRGLs to the appropriate devices.

You're done!

Again, all CCM MOH servers support unicast, but you have to enable multicast support on the server and audio source. This ADDs (not replaces) multicast support to the existing unicast support on that source and server. And then you choose who gets multicast by the MRG/MRGL combination. MRG settings override Server and Audio Source multicast configs and give you the flexibility you are looking for.

The only limitations you could run into are codec support (addressed in service parameters) or too many unicast streams for the server (addressed by adding servers.)

Let me know if this helps by rating the post.

Michael

jroysdon Sun, 10/30/2005 - 18:58
User Badges:

Great reply. This was the solution/answer I was hoping was available, but didn't know the "trick" to get it done (two MRGs, one with Multicast checked, and one without, but both with the same MoH server).

Actions

This Discussion