2950SX to 2950G VLAN

Answered Question
Nov 1st, 2005
User Badges:

I want to use a 2950SX (standard image IOS) as a remote distribution switch which would uplink (1000baseSX MMF) to an SX-GBIC port on a 2950G. The 2950G is connected to a 1721 router which is running several different PVC's. The different PVC's need to route to VLAN ports on the 2950SX. Can I estblish VLAN's between the Enhanced image IOS and the Standard image IOS ?

Correct Answer by Georg Pauwen about 11 years 9 months ago

Hello,

yes, this is no problem, both images support trunking (802.1q only, no ISL). So all you need to do is build trunks between the switches and the router over which to carry the VLANs...

HTH,

GP

Overall Rating: 4.5 (2 ratings)
thisisshanky Tue, 11/01/2005 - 09:56
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

That should work without any problem. All you got to do is make sure you use right gbics on both ends, (SX to SX) and the right fiber cable. Also make sure the fiber cable is a cross over (Rx->Tx and vice versa).

Once the link comes up, you can configure trunking on the fiber port.

int gi 0/1

switchport mode trunk

2950 supports only 802.1q encap for trunking. Once this is done, configure the same vlans on either ends and assign them to ports.

vlan database

vlan 2 name Vlan2

vlan 3 name Vlan 3

show <---shows configured vlans

exit

The above commands create vlans on the database of each switch. If you have a lot of vlans, its wise to use VTP and configure one switch as VTP server and other as client.

HTH

Correct Answer
Georg Pauwen Tue, 11/01/2005 - 09:57
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 WAN

Hello,

yes, this is no problem, both images support trunking (802.1q only, no ISL). So all you need to do is build trunks between the switches and the router over which to carry the VLANs...

HTH,

GP

w.marlin Tue, 11/01/2005 - 15:22
User Badges:

Thanks for your reply. My worry was that the layer 2 vlan on the 2950sx (standard IOS) and the layer 3 vlan on the 2950g (enhanced IOS) would be minimally compatable. I do not have to use vlan spanning tree with this particular configuration.

Thanks again,

DM

Actions

This Discussion