Replies

unity restore using dirt

ciscoforum
Level 1
Level 1

We are going to migrate the unity to another server in the following:

1. DIfferent name and ip

2. Different AD and Exchange Orgnization

3. AD and exchange has no any user and mailbox.

Just double check with you as long as i installed a clean and ready unity server into this new enviroment though with different name/ip/ad/exchange, restore should still work, it should create user and mailbox on the fly,

right?

Unity 403, exchange 2k off box

Thanks

Thanks

7 Replies 7

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

yes, that's correct - just make sure the Unity version you install is the same version you backed up. The creation of AD accounts and mailboxes on the fly can take a while depending on your configuraiton and the number of users so be sure to allocate plenty of time for this.

Thanks Jeff

In terms of keeping the voice mails, can I also use DIRT to back and restore in this situation? (I think to use veritas or MS backup may not be a good way for me because of the different server name, etc). Use exmerge or dirt to extract them as pst file will be good, right?

Thanks

DiRT simply uses ExMerge to do the message backup - the only thing DiRT does special for you here is it will map the user ID paths for ExMerge (it passes a huge list of user IDs on the old system and their new IDs on the new system as an INI into ExMerge) - if you're changing domains this is sometimes necessary. But it's just using the Microsoft ExMerge tool for messages so nothing unusual there.

I know we can't restore unity into a server where unity has been configured. What about mailbox, if I have restored mailbox by dirt or exmerge, can I restore one more time or I have to delete them and restore again? Thanks

ExMerge can be run any time - if the accounts are already in place it'll just add the messages back into their mailbox (you can get duplicates doing this but it wont break anything).

We just use DIRT to restore both SQL and mailboxes. It went good except for 13 mailbox were not resotored.

1.In your experience what could cause these 13 mailboxes not restored, the exmerge log doesn't say much.

2.Since we have to restore again on the cutover night and we don't want to get duplicate mails, so we have to delete all the mailboxes that just restored, is there a way from microsoft to bulk delete the mailboxes?

Thanks verymuch

Edward

I can't speculate why ExMerge would fail on those boxes - permissions issues perhaps, RUS issue where the mailbox didn't exist yet, the mailbox identifier didn't match anything - dunno, hard to say with no details to work off of. More of a question for the Microsoft boys...

I'm not familiar with any tools that will bulk delete just the mailboxes themselves - you can bulkd delete the ad users and their mailboxes with a number of tools including the Bulk Subscriber Delete tool, but that's a little heavy.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: