7960 hanging on 'Configuring IP'

Unanswered Question
Nov 7th, 2005
User Badges:

Hi all,

I bought a refurbished 7960 IP phone on Ebay.com which I recieved today. Plugged it in both on network and power, message about VLAN comes up: so far so good

Then it stucks at Configuring IP ... runs for long time, no time out nothing, but in the mean while I cannot access the phone either ... does anyone have a tip to hard reset the phone to factory default of how I can find out which TFTP server it tries to find?

(as far as I can see in my DHCP server it has aquiered an ip adress) but also the webserver on the ipphone is not accessable.

thanks in advance for any reply!

//Harro

Overall Rating: 3.5 (3 ratings)
christopher.l.l... Mon, 11/07/2005 - 13:38
User Badges:

Can you ping the IP address? You won't get a webserver until the firmware loads. Which brings up the next question - what firmware do you want and how do you intend to use the phone? You'll need to specify the tftp server in the dhcp options and provide the appropriate files for the phone to download from the tftp server.

Second issue, unless you have Call Manager, you should buy a license for the phone software.

liquid_force Wed, 11/09/2005 - 08:03
User Badges:

I have the SIP firmware (the previous owner sent it to me) I have started a TFTP server on my regular pc, buy nowhere I can define where the 7960 should connect to to connect to the TFTP server ... I have tried to connect the phone to another router (also with build in DHCP server) and there I can neither give a TFTP server to the phone.

Chris Deren Tue, 11/08/2005 - 11:31
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony, Contact Center, Unified Communications

You can reset the phone by pressing Setting button, then 3 for Network Configuration, and 33. Press **# to unlock the phone, press Yes softkey.

You can statically assign a TFTP server, if you turn off DHCP on the phone, you will manually assign an IP address, subnet mask, default gw, and tftp.

Chris

liquid_force Wed, 11/09/2005 - 13:08
User Badges:

hi all,

thanks for all the help, but I simply even cannot get into the phones menu's ... the hard/soft reset is a great option (and the documentation as written above is very helpfull) if I would be able to get into the menu's. I only get the startup screen, VLAN is being set en then the phone stucks on Configuring IP, when I use the other router (also with DHCP) it gives a TFTP timeout, and again I cannot access the phone. Maybe the best thing is to return it to the seller. :(

christopher.l.l... Wed, 11/09/2005 - 19:30
User Badges:

I replied earlier, but I don't see the message here. You need to set DHCP option 150 to indicate the tftp server IP address. Not all routers or dhcp servers support setting dhcp options. Once you get the dhcp server settings done, I'd watch the tftp server to see if/what files are requested

netimpsol Thu, 11/10/2005 - 10:31
User Badges:

The easiest way to accomplish this is by doing a full factory reset on the phone.

You do this by holding down the # key while the phone is powering up. The screen will prompt you with a message that the reset sequence has started. At that point you hit the following key sequence 123456789*0# The phone will then prompt if you want the network configuration saved choose no.

That will allow your system to recognize the phone from scratch.

Actions

This Discussion