Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS VSAN Domain ID

jordankatzarov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody.

I have theoretical question that concerns the VSANs. If I can configure up to 254 user VSANs, how can I assign unique Domain ID to each of them, if I have the limitation of 239 domains. Thank you for the attention.

Cheers,

Dancho

2 Replies 2

tblancha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You aren't limited to having unique DID if the vsans don't touch. Each vsan is completely unique and vsan X, domain Y is completely different than vsan A, domain Y. Imagine that if the sans are physically separated, then domains do not need to be unique. So, when you logically separate them, they are still separate and can have the same domain.

If you think about it from an IP network point of view, the vlan A can have the same IP subnet as vlan B if they never attempt to contact each other or route between them.

mrfrase
Level 1
Level 1

To add to what Tim has said, if there is a requirement to get a device from VSAN to VSAN there is Inter VASN Routing (IVR) used if VSANs have unique VSAN domain ID's & IVR NAT if Domain ID's overlab

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: