Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring VWIC-1MFT-G703 on a Cisco router

chrisalbert241
Level 1
Level 1

good day to everyone.

This is quite new to me. We have a Cisco 1751 router and with is a VWIC-1MFT-G703 card. This will be connected to a SDH equipment of ECI Telecom and NEC. This router will server as a converting equipment tool from TDM/E1 to IP. This setup was needed to integrate the two vendor equipments (ECI and NEC). So that ECI equipments will be managed by network management system (NMS) through IP.

To picture out the scenario each SDH equipment is connected via an STM/E3 one E1 will be connected to G703 interface and the router will translate or convert it to IP via the ethernet or fastethernet port. I think each and every router on the succeeding SDH equipment will have to G703 interfaces until the last one to connect to the IP network.

Is this possible? Is there any config present or sample?

Thanks,

Chris

12 Replies 12

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Can you confirm whether you are configuring any ip on the SDH equipment end ?

I feel you are getting this 1751 router for monitoring the SDH equipments and for doing admin changes on the same using external interface(software) installed in some pc am i rite in figuring out your requirement ?

regds

Spremkumar,

Yes I will be configuring IP on the SDH equipment.

Your absolutely right about the use and monitoring of the SDH equipments.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi

In this case you can configure your local ethernet interface of the router with some address space and you can have the Management pc also configured in the same subnet as your local ethernet.

In this case since both the networks thats ur SDH address space and the management address space are connected networks u will find the reachability without any issues..

if its single SHD equipment you can /30 block configured or else if u gotta multiple sdh equipments to be managed from the router better use /24 address space for the same.

if you are connecting multiple equipments then via that E1 which is terminating onto ur router u need to confirm the connectivity to all the equipments.

regds

Actually the setup is a change of SDH equipment with. With one SDH to one router. The NMS server is at the far end of the IP cloud (FR or leased line). There are 15 SDH equipments with STM connections between them. One E1 on each connection will be connect to a G703 interface and the fastethernet port will be directly connected via cross cable to the SDH equipment's fastethernet port. This is were TDM to IP conversion comes in. The last router on will still be connected to G703 interface of the last SDH equipment and will have serial interface going to a frame relay network going to another router to a NMS server or PC for management of the SDH equipments.

The reason I want to do this is because the different SDH equipments (both ECI and NEC equipments) could not relay the management packets to the NMS server.

If this so how could I route the packets from the TDM to the fastethernet ports? Will I create a static route on each router stating on the first one?

Thanks,

Chris

Attached is the drawing so that you could have a better picture of the setup.

Hi

from the snapshot i m able to understand the connectivity between the SDH equipments and router via ethernet with cross over cable.

I feel this is enough to have the ip reachability between the SDH and its corresponding..

If i m not wrong ur plugging in one extra E1 to the router so that all the routers are reachable via the STMs is that so ??

its clear about local router to SDH connectiviy but the reachability between the remote SDH connected routers to the end router where you got the leased line or framerrealy.

regds

Yes, I need that the router and SDH equipments to be reachable via IP.

I guess the data packets will be coming from the fastethernet ports will be converted to TDM or should I add another G703 interface to the 1st and 2nd router starting from the left side and connect to another E1 connection to the SDH equipment to convert IP to TDM data?

Am I correct on this?

Thanks again,

Chris

Hi Chris

I m bit puzzled about the inter connectivity between the routers which is very much reqd for the management purpose.

I was involved in similar kinda setup where in it was the whole CWDM equipments connected to Cisco boxes.

physical (optical) layer being connected to the CWDM equipments which in turn serving the ip ring connectivity to the cisco boxes (central to hub locations).

we did configure the management for the CWDM equipments by crossing them with the cisco ethernet port and configuring an ip on both cisco and cwdm side.

we got the reachability via ospf running in the cisco boxes.

i feel its similar but would like to know whether the ip reachability can be had via the STMs which is interconnecting he SDH equipments which i m not sure though,i feel u can..

regds

Yes IP reachability will pass through the STM using one E1 interface on the punch down block wiring.

By the way I asked the service provider for more details due to the integration of the routers. I would need another G703 interface on each router.

Thanks for the inputs it surely help me keep on thinking too.

Chris

Hi

If ur thru with the ip connectivity thru the STMs itself i feel this is more or less similar to the scenario which i was mentioning in my previous mail.

So here you are gonna use the Full E1 pipe for management and monitoring purpose so i would better suggest to make use of OSPF as a routing protcol keeping the E1 links on Area 0 and the local ethernet connectivity between the SDH and router in some other area like area 1 or so.

This will take care of the ip reachability between ur devices i suggested ospf here is to avoid the manual configs for adding static routes for all the 15 locations which will be a tedious process.

Also you can configure the management server ip subnet in ospf routing process.

you can make use of /30 subnets for all the connectivities and can configure them up in ospf process.

Not sure about the management server ip subnet requirement there too you can deploy /30 address if u got to have only the requirement for 2 ips..

regds

Hi Chris

Any further developments in this ???

hope u can post out if there is some progress...

regds

Hi!

I'm coordinating with ECI Telecom with regards to this integration of theirs. I'm also coordinating with the equipment and interfaces that I will be using in a lab to test the setup I'm asking about. Hence, I will keep you posted with this subject matter.

Thank you very much.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: