Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch port is resetting which is connected to Access Point

rangakishore
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My client recently established wi-fi network with cisco 1300 wireless AP, cisco 3548 switch and VMPS server. SWitches are kepted in vlan 1, wireless APs vlan 2, Wired network clients vlan 3, for wireless clients when associate to the near by ap they will get vlan 4. problem is switch port frequently getting down (Administratively down, Line protocol is UP) which is connected access point. during these time wi-fi clients are not able to getting network resources.

vlans are running dynamically. we are not configured any vlan parameters in ap, But Acess Point Ethernet MAC address in entered in VMPS database.

our observation when clients are morethan 10 nos associate to the access point that perticular ap connected port in switch is showing the administratively down. After resetting the switch port it working fine for certain time.

I requested anybody face this type of problem please sugess me.

4 Replies 4

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

Did you try using a different switchport to the Access point. This could be a issue with the switch port. Because under normal conditions you will not get "Ethernet is administratively down, line protocol is up". Other than that I dont see any other problem. Are you seeing any error messages on the switch or the APs. As long as the VLANs are configured correctly on the AP and the switchport it should work. For information on how to configure VLANs on APs read http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801d0815.shtml

I would look at what errors cause that port to go admin down.

Should be in the loggs of the switch. The switch will only hold so many log entries. I would setup a syslog server and dump your switch logs to it so you can see extended data.

Also try setting the switch port and access point ethernet interfaces to forced speed 100 duplex full. The auto speed and duplex has caused problems in the past for me.

Lastly if your client has a wired connection and a wireless connection at the same time and has a bridge enabled on their machine this can cause a loopback and if your switch is configured for it shut down one of the ports, either the AP port or their wired connection port.

Hi,

AP log reports notfying users are associated and diassociated apart from these no other error messages. we are configured full duplex parameters in switch side and ap side these combination we are getting request timed outs. its working only 10 Mbps half duplex in both ap and switch side it's working fine but when wi-fi clients are associated above 10 members problem is repeating.

We have dynamic vlans in the network. in VMPS database we are entered only AP Ethernet MAC address it is sufficient are anyother parameters required in AP for dynamic vlans.

Please help me how to connfigure dynamice vlans in access points.

Thanking & Regards

Ranga kishore

Hi,Thomas

I am very thank full to you. I am tried with differenent switchport connected to access point but problem is not solved. This is happening only wi-fi users are associated above 10 clients switchport goes administratively down.

here we are using dynamic vlans in ap we are not configured vlan parameters. only AP Ethernet MAC address entered in VMPS database. please tell me how to configure dynamice vlans in access points.

Thanking you,

Regards

Ranga kishore

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: