cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"Temp Failed" messages on Cisco phones display

matthew
Level 1
Level 1

Hi a group of our users get this at the same time as their phones seem to drop callers off. I suspect its loss of RTP stream caused by a network problem (these phones stay registered to the callManager), but there is precious little about this message on the Cisco website, and I wondered if anyone had experience of this message.

11 Replies 11

Kevin Bush
Level 1
Level 1

I have a group of users experiencing the same thing. After searching I have not located anymore information on this error.

OK, I'm going to try and replicate the issue in the lab, I'll let you know what comes out of it. Might be a few days.

I've seen that document, its the same error message, but in our case its not happening to Unity. We get it when they are talking to a gateway to the PSTN, but also I believe probably to other internal extensions, but not sure yet.

Have tried puttign new loads on the phones which have the problem

I have two instances of the "temp fail" error. One is if you are talking to someone on a 7920, and they lose connectivity you will see it.

The second occured on an MGCP gateway we had running PRI's to a sister corparation's PBX. We had a 2651xm running the two's PRI's as well as a 100 Mbit connection to their network. For whatever reason, the CPU started having spikes (utilization up to 99%) and during the spikes it would get so slow it would drop the PRI's and people would see the temp fail error. Try some MGCP debug's on your PRI router. I could watch the PRI's in Cisco Real Time Monitor and see them drop during the CPU spikes.

If you see CPU spike of 99% on your router that is some thign really serious. You may want to check for some bugs on the code and also open a Case with Cisco.

I was surprised that you were able to run Debug commnds when the CPU was at 99%

the CPU usage on the gateway looked like the cisco logo. up and down. the spikes would happen every 20-30 minutes and last about 3-5 seconds. the cpu usage went from 20-30% to 99%. I also had a segV exception error on the router. Opened a TAC case, upgraded to latest IOS. problem remained. Swapped 2651xm for 2821 and problem stopped. So best guess at this point was the 2651 lacked the horsepower for what we were asking of it. When i ran my segv error through the output interpeter it did point me to a bug on the 3600 platform where fax/modem across PRI's was causing problems. We definately had alot of faxes going across the PRI's .

Jason Hamlett
Level 1
Level 1

Are the callers all on calls across the same gateway?

No. And we are running pretty recent firmware on the phones too.

We seem to only get the 'temp failed' message on calls coming across 2 PRI's from another PBX. The calls on the other PRI's at this site have not reported this error.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: