mattcisconet
Level 1
Level 1

Just a general question folks...

When I see this:

System returned to ROM by reload

Or this:

Last reset from Reload

On a Cisco IOS device, am I ok to assume this reload was executed manually by a user via the command line, or via snmp?

It is my understanding if the router/switch detects some sort of trouble (bus error etc) and resets, that is normally displayed in the "sh ver" output. Thanks.

7 Replies 7

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

You are rite in pointing out that the show version o/p does gives some clue about the reason for the last reload..

Also you use up show techsupport command too which too prooved to be vital in troubleshooting.

Again you can check out for some usual/general bug with the ios codes which is available over here in cisco site.

But if u get some bus error or program error better to find the similar matching error in here or else log in case with TAC which mite help to overcome the same..

regds

Perhaps I should clarify.

If I see "returned to ROM by reload" does that indicate the device was manually reloaded either by a person logged into the device or via snmp? Thanks.

Hi

"System returned to ROM by reload" -- done using "reload" command

"System returned to ROM by power-on" -- done by powering it off and on..

regds

Hi

How about this in sh ver from Cat6K?

System returned to ROM by unknown reload cause - suspect boot_data[BOOT_COUNT] 0x0, BOOT_COUNT 0, BOOTDATA 19 (SP by power-on)

A Quiz.

Rgds,

If it just says returned to ROM by reload it is probably pretty safe to assume that someone entered a command to cause the reload. There are also situations where it says returned to ROM by reload with some additional verbiage like this:

System returned to ROM by unknown reload cause - reason ptr 0xBFC3C0EC, PC 0x604

D0790, address 0x0 at 18:00:19 EST Tue Nov 1 2005

which is pretty obviously the result of a software problem on the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick

Yes, that's the answer.

Hi

As rick said we do have experienced similar kinda messages in our Cat6K boxes..though we did reset them using normal reload commandss.

all the boxes are running with the latest codes only..but we never faced some kinda perf issues or anything else in the operation of those boxes..

regds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card