Question concerning the 6500 series

Unanswered Question
Nov 28th, 2005
User Badges:

Is there is feature or way to "program" the 6500 to assign incoming frames to a MAC address selected from a group of MAC addresses in some sort of round robin fashion? IOW, you would change the destination MAC address to one you want used. Sort of like policy routing I quess. Thanks

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
mnewnam05 Mon, 12/05/2005 - 06:54
User Badges:

I know this is an odd circumstance. What I have is a remote facility that receives processing requests and sends processed replies. There are several "gateways" in this facility that handle the requests/replies from all over via T1 connections. The problem is that each gateway has a limited number of MAC addresses (PCs where the request is processed and sent) that it can support, creating a situation where PCs are "tied" to their associated gateway.

This creates inflexibilty and logistical problems that I won't bore you with, but since all of these gateways reach their associated PCs via the network (6500s with 2950s as accesses) I thought I could circumvent this problem if somehow I could convince the 6500 (my core) to select from (randomly?) any and all PCs to handle a particular request.

This may be beyond the scope of the 6500's abilities, but it is a very powerful networking device. With features like acces lists and routing policies, it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to configure the 6500 to choose, or be fooled into choosing, from all the PCs it has access to process an incoming request.

Thanks for your time and question.

Actions

This Discussion