cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Link Bandwidth Prerequisites and Load Sharing Outbound

mhcraig
Level 1
Level 1

Before I waste time asking a specific question about BGP Link Bandwidth, I wanted to ask a (simple) question: Because Cisco Express Forwarding ( CEF ) needs to be enabled on ALL participating routers according to the documentation, doesn't that imply that they all need to be *Cisco* routers?

I'm going to be connecting with 2 ISPs of unequal bandwidth (20 and 100 mbit). Each use Juniper routers unfortunately.

If I can't use Link Bandwidth what is the best method for me to proportionally balance the OUTBOUND (I don't care that much about inbound balancing) traffic?

Thanks!

Hutch

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The two ISP routers to which you connect don't matter. They can be Cisco, Juniper or anything else as long as they support BGP.

CEF needs to be enable on the router(s) on which you want to run BGP LB assuming they are Cisco boxes ;o)

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The two ISP routers to which you connect don't matter. They can be Cisco, Juniper or anything else as long as they support BGP.

CEF needs to be enable on the router(s) on which you want to run BGP LB assuming they are Cisco boxes ;o)

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

It does help - thanks for your input. It just threw me off because the documentation says specifically "Cisco Express Forwarding (CEF) or distributed CEF (dCEF) must be enabled on all participating routers."

I it is suggesting if I were using BGP and load *balancing* between 2 routers on MY side both actively sending outbound traffic I would need to have CEF enabled on each of them. In my situation I just have1 router on my side (well I guess technically I'll have 2 with HSRP but only 1 is active at any given time.)

Now I'll probably post my actual Link Bandwidth questions in another topic....!

Thanks for your input,

Hutch

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card