Unanswered Question
Dec 11th, 2005
User Badges:

hi i am bit stuck with Vlans.....which switch i have to buy for inter vlan communication...i m v low at budget....so kindly tell me which switch would b best for me....and which router for intervlan communication as i have 2503.....thirdly do i have to have uplink ports in switch or not? for inter vlan communication which port connects with router FE??? i have no idea plz help me out thanks in advance

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
ankurbhasin Sun, 12/11/2005 - 22:48
User Badges:
  • Red, 2250 points or more

Hi quroo,

Intervlan routing can be done in 2 ways

1) On layer 3 switch starting with 3550 and above

2) On external routers using any layer 2 switch

I don't think 2503 supports intervlan routing because for int vlan routing using external routers you have to configure subinterfaces on router fat ethernet interface and provide encapsulation and I think 2503 does not spport encapsulation.

1700 series router with IP PLUS feature IOS supports intervlan routing.

Any fastethernet port on switch can be used for uplink to externak router for trunk purpose.

Answering to your first question if you have the router which supports intervlan routing like 1700,2600 and above you can use any layer 2 switch like 1900,2900,2050 for using as trunk between router and switch.




This Discussion