cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

System error on blank greeting

joveroc
Level 1
Level 1

I am attempting to setup a night service that uses one mailbox that three secretaries will monitor. I am trying to set it up this way:

Set each secretary to normal hours schedule with a closed greeting playing after 4pm that says press 1 to leave a message. Input 1 will go to another mailbox that will collect all of the messages from the 3 secretaries. I have this mailbox setup with a blank greeting and take a message after greeting.

The problem I am having is that if I set it to blank I get a system error from Unity. If I use the system greeting or the recorded greeting its fine. I checked the port status monitor and after the taking message step I get an "Event Null" then "play failsafe message" to that effect.

I want to have no greeting on this mailbox so that for the caller it is seemless when they press 1 and leave the message. Is there any way this can be done? I thought this would be the easiest since they will need to be checking these messages, rather than using a call handler and having them go into the call handler menu. Is there an easier way to have this scenario setup? I can't simply forward there phones to a mailbox because unity looks at the originating phones mailbox.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Christopher McAlpin
Community Manager
Community Manager

A work around would be to play silence. You can paste the following prompt in there which will play 1 second of silence:

:\CommServer\Localize\Prompts\ENU\G711\AvSubMsgPlay\AvSubMsgPlayENU129.wav

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Couple things here.

1. We need your specific Unity version (including any ES/SPs installed).

2. If there's an error played there will be one or more event log entries in the application event log - we'll need that info, too.

3. in a jam you can copy a 1/2 second of silence in the greeting which will have the same effect - this is what we used to do before adding explicit support for a blank greeting. I know there were a couple of bugs with this along the way but without knowing your version information I can't speculate if that's what you're running into or not.

1. Sorry that I forgot to list the Unity version. I am running 4.0(4) MS2000 build 2195 service pack 4.

2. I get two errors in the app log when the error plays:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: CiscoUnity_PHGreeting

Event Category: Error

Event ID: 401

Date: 12/15/2005

Time: 9:50:55 AM

User: N/A

Computer: UNITY1

Description:

RecordMessage returned [0x80004005] on line 3714 of file e:\views\cs_ue4.0.3.159\un_Conv2\AvConvPhoneHandler\AvConvPHGreetingSvr\AvSPlayGreeting.cpp

For more information, click: http://www.CiscoUnitySupport.com/find.php

**** And ****

Event Type: Error

Event Source: CiscoUnity_PHGreeting

Event Category: Error

Event ID: 440

Date: 12/15/2005

Time: 9:50:55 AM

User: N/A

Computer: UNITY1

Description:

The Unity mailbox for the user with the alias - pznight is unable to receive messages from outside callers because the mailbox does not seem to have an SMTP address written to the Cisco Unity database. It is possible that the user's mailbox has been deleted, or if this is an Unity with Exchange 2000 system, it is possible that the RUS service is running late or is scheduled incorrectly. Technical details - The smtpaddress field in the global subscriber view for the subscriber is either blank or NULL. Return code from procedure - 0x80004005. 7651

I may look at copying that blank greeting that was suggested and see how that works. I noticed I couldn't record my own blank greeting over the recording interface, I guess it detects voice.

Christopher McAlpin
Community Manager
Community Manager

A work around would be to play silence. You can paste the following prompt in there which will play 1 second of silence:

:\CommServer\Localize\Prompts\ENU\G711\AvSubMsgPlay\AvSubMsgPlayENU129.wav

That prompt worked, thanks. But I am still curious as to why the built in blank greeting was producing those errors?

Actually I am getting the same two errors in the application log again. This time I can get to the greeting fine. It plays through the one second of silence and says leave a message at the prompt, then the error occurs again.

Doesn't look like the errors in the event log are related to the greeting at all - it's related to the fact that the subscriber doesn't have an SMTP address synched into Unity - this usually means they didn't get a mailbox (as per the text of the error). So either Unity isn't fetching the SMTP address off the AD record for some reason or the user didn't get a mailbox setup properly (i.e. RUS issues).

Think you're barking up the wrong tree assuming this has something to do with the greeting...

You are correct. Any new mailbox I try to create is not being created in exchange. I don't see this RUS service anywhere in services, where should I start looking?

TAC said something was wrong with AD. Rebooting the server fixed the issue.