cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4000 Router

sevans1979
Level 4
Level 4

I have a 4000 Router with two open bays to put Network Modules in. The one that I have in there now is the NP-1E ethernet modules. My question is, which modules can I use with the 4000 router? I am finding conflicting info on cisco.com and doing google searchs. I want to add the NP-2E two port ethernet NP and the NP-4T 4 port serial NP. Some sites say that they dont work with the 4000, just the memory enhanced 4000-m, 4500-m and 7500m. And some sites say you can use them with the plain 4000.

Anyone out there successfully install a NP-4T and a NP-2E in a basic 4000 Router?

Thank you in advance

Scott

5 Replies 5

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

These have been end-of-support for more than two years, you might want to investigate moving to a 3600 or 7200 series:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps5199/prod_eol_notice09186a008032d410.html

I know, I am just using this in my home lab. I don't have the spare money for the 3600's or 7200 yet.

completely understand, I still have old hardware in my lab, so it's not a bad thing.

I've used the 4 port serial in a plain router, but my memory is hazy(it was a long time ago), so I don't remember if I had any problems with it...Why not just plug it in? Or is it one you are looking at having to purchase?

I have a 4000 at home with 2 4 port serial and 1 2 port ethernet. Using it as a frame switch with no problems.

Thanks guys. I already have the 4000, I guess I will get the cards sometime pretty soon and give them a try.

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco