cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

routing

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

If I have 2 sites. 1 router on the remote site has say an ip address of 10.1.1.1/24 and the serial is ip unnumbered, and the main site has a router with its Wan ip on the same subnet, would the router on the main site need a route on it pointing to the remote site, even though its wan port is on the same network ?

6 Replies 6

vpalania
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If the subnet and mask are same, then it should as directly connected.

HTH,

Thanks,

Vijay

Would this be an ok or right way to do it ?, and so from the main site to the remote site, I dont need any routes ?

Hi Carl

The better/general recomm would be using a /30 ip for the WAN conenctivity and make use of seperate /24 in ur local lans on both the sides.

I feel tht would be easier for troubleshooting and for operational purpose..

if u really dont have any choice in moving to the best practice then better to stay out with the current scenario..

regds

Well I do not think it would work.

Assuming this topology:

(e0)R1(s0) - (s0)R2(e0)

with

R1: e0 10.1.1.254/24 and s0 ip unnumbered e0

R2: s0 10.1.1.1/24

How would R1 find the way to R2 without additional static route pointing to R2? It would not.

So the better choice is f.e.

R1 e0 10.1.1.1/24 and s0 10.1.2.1/30

R2 e0 10.1.3.1/24 and s0 10.1.2.2/30

plus either static or dynamic routing on R1 and R2.

Hope this helps

Martin

if I did use dynamic routing would I need to advertise both addresses on each router ?

Hi

You need to advertise the networks/address(interfaces) which u require to be advertised to the peers or to be included in the routing process.

regds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: