Replies

Advantages to large NAT range?

glowell543
Level 1
Level 1

I have a couple of hundred users accessing the outside via:

global (outside) 1 65.123.71.230-65.123.71.253 netmask 255.255.255.224

global (outside) 1 65.123.71.254 netmask 255.255.255.224

It seems that the first people that connect after a restart grab the NAT addresses and everyone else gets the PAT. It there a reason that I shouldn't give most of the registered IP's back to the ISP and just keep a smaller group? My ISP appears to be holding any PTR changes hostage until I relinquish some addresses. At issue is that my PTR is set to one of the IP's in the middle of the NAT group. Each time the firewall is reset, the mail server locks into a different outside address which causes reverse DNS to fail. Can I force the mail server to a particular address (the one the PTR is set to)?

5 Replies 5

m.mcconnell
Level 1
Level 1

For typical web surfing there is no real advantage to a large NAT pool and there is no real reson to not give back some addresses other than to save yourself some grief. It looks like you have a fairly small range, I don't see why your ISP would hassel you. But in any event, you can get rid of the NAT pool by doing these two commands:

no global (outside) 1 65.123.71.230-65.123.71.253 netmask 255.255.255.224

clear xlate

This will drop any current connections on these ip addresses. Then to set up your mail server use the static command:

static (inside,outside) public_ip private_ip netmask 255.255.255.255

If your mail server is in a DMZ you will need to change the name of th first interface to match the name of the DMZ interface.

To further save address space, set up your PAT address to use the IP address on the outside interface of the PIX:

no global (outside) 1 65.123.71.254 netmask 255.255.255.224

global (outside) 1 interface

clear xlate

Then save the config:

write mem

-Mark

I will give that a try - thanks. In what instances would an address pool make sense - I'm having trouble rationalizing my (inherited) configs. ;-)

The only time I can think of "needing" a large NAT pool is if you have a large user base for an application that does not work with PAT - but that's mostly a thing of the past.

As a side note - the inherited config that you are currently running is a direct copy and paste out of the PIX documentation that provides an example of setting up outbound connectivity. That section is a bit dated.

-Mark

further, a pat only offers upto 64,000 translations.

so for those companys expecting more than that number will need to deploy multiple ip with pat.

That part won't affect my slice of the job market, but I also recall that multimedia has an impact. Not sure how much - the trouble with unfamiliar networks is it's hard to tell who is doing what to whom and why.

In the end, Mark confirmed my suspicions and I went ahead a blew away the global range and added a static route to cover AOL, etc. I will just let it simmer and listen for squeaks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: