cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

frame-relay end-to-end keepalive

ayoussef82
Level 1
Level 1

i configured frame-relay end-to-end keepalive between two routers (3841 & 2620XM) but when the subinterface on 2620 router go down the other side (3841) go down but after 1 minut back up... i need to to know why the interface back up?????

8 Replies 8

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Friend,

If I understand you correctly your interface on the other end comes up once the interface on this side comes up after going down right ?

If yes this is the functionality of keepalives. Once the intrerface comes up after going down it again starts sending the keepalives and once the other end receives the kepalives it comes to know that the interface on the remote end is up now so it also comes up.

The interface on remote side goes down because it did not receives the keepalives but once it start receiving the keepalives it comes up again.

HTH

Ankur

Hello,

as I understand the problem, the interface on the 3841 comes back up one minute after going down, while the interface on the 2620 stays down, that is, while the circuit has not been reestablished, is that correct ?

Can you post the EEK configs from both sides ?

Also, which IOS version are you running on both routers ?

Regards,

GP

Hello,

one minute sounds like LMI is kicking in and still reporting the PVC as up from the provider side (status reports are sent every 60 sec.).

Infact FR end-to-end keepalives should still allow the detection of an end-to-end failure.

As a workaround for the time being you could use a dynamic routing protocol over the PVC, which will for sure detect any connectivity issue.

Hope this helps

Martin

2600 SIDE

Configuration

interface Serial0/0.1 point-to-point

ip address 192.168.4.2 255.255.255.0

no ip route-cache

no ip mroute-cache

no cdp enable

frame-relay class ecb

frame-relay interface-dlci 16

map-class frame-relay ecb

frame-relay end-to-end keepalive mode reply

IOS Version 12.3(5e)

3800 SIDE

Configuration

interface Serial0/0/0.5 point-to-point

ip address 192.168.4.1 255.255.255.0

no ip route-cache

no ip mroute-cache

no cdp enable

frame-relay class ecb

frame-relay interface-dlci 19

frame-relay end-to-end keepalive mode bidirectional

IOS Version 12.4(2)T

Hello,

you could modify the configuration on the 2600 to utilize bidirectional end-to-end keepalives.

So both routers will actively test the PVC.

Still the config you have in place should actually do what you intend to do. But as we are looking for a solution to this "non default behaviour", trying a slightly different config might help.

Can you please post the output of "show frame-relay end-to-end keepalive interface Serial xxx" for both routers. This way one can see, whether end-to-end keeplives are sent/received and which errors are occuring.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Martin

Martin is on the right track.

I am refreshing my knowledge on frame-relay and noticed this comment in the configuration guide.

You must configure both ends of a VC to send keepalives. If one end is configured as bidirectional, the other end must also be configured as bidirectional. If one end is configured as request, the other end must be configured as reply or passive-reply. If one end is configured as reply or passive-reply, the other end must be configured as request

You have a mismatch in your configuration.

Hope this helps!Please rate all posts.

Sarb

Network Infrastructure

Forum Log In My NetPro Subscriptions Top NetPros TechTalks Ask The Experts

Forum Topics > Conversations > Outline > Messages

< Previous Conversation | Next Conversation >

WAN, Routing and Switching: frame-relay end-to-end keepalive

Posted by: ayoussef82 - Jan 8, 2006, 3:49am PST

i configured frame-relay end-to-end keepalive between two routers (3841 & 2620XM) but when the subinterface on 2620 router go down the other side (3841) go down but after 1 minut back up... i need to to know why the interface back up?????

| Outline | Subscribe | E-Mail this Message

Conversation Rating: 2.0 (2 votes)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Replied by: ankurbhasin - Senior System Engineer, Lucent Technologies - Jan 8, 2006, 6:48am PST

Hi Friend,

If I understand you correctly your interface on the other end comes up once the interface on this side comes up after going down right ?

If yes this is the functionality of keepalives. Once the intrerface comes up after going down it again starts sending the keepalives and once the other end receives the kepalives it comes to know that the interface on the remote end is up now so it also comes up.

The interface on remote side goes down because it did not receives the keepalives but once it start receiving the keepalives it comes up again.

HTH

Ankur

| E-Mail this Message

Rate this Post

Replied by: gpauwen - Systems Engineer, Fujitsu Services BV - Jan 8, 2006, 8:42am PST

Hello,

as I understand the problem, the interface on the 3841 comes back up one minute after going down, while the interface on the 2620 stays down, that is, while the circuit has not been reestablished, is that correct ?

Can you post the EEK configs from both sides ?

Also, which IOS version are you running on both routers ?

Regards,

GP

| E-Mail this Message

Rating: 2.0 (1 vote)

Rate this Post

Replied by: mheusinger - , Global Knowledge Deutschland, CCIE - Jan 8, 2006, 10:04am PST

Hello,

one minute sounds like LMI is kicking in and still reporting the PVC as up from the provider side (status reports are sent every 60 sec.).

Infact FR end-to-end keepalives should still allow the detection of an end-to-end failure.

As a workaround for the time being you could use a dynamic routing protocol over the PVC, which will for sure detect any connectivity issue.

Hope this helps

Martin

| E-Mail this Message

Rating: 2.0 (1 vote)

Rate this Post

Replied by: ayoussef82 - Jan 11, 2006, 10:49pm PST

2600 SIDE

Configuration

interface Serial0/0.1 point-to-point

ip address 192.168.4.2 255.255.255.0

no ip route-cache

no ip mroute-cache

no cdp enable

frame-relay class ecb

frame-relay interface-dlci 16

frame-relay end-to-end keepalive mode reply

IOS Version 12.3(5e)

3800 SIDE

Configuration

interface Serial0/0/0.5 point-to-point

ip address 192.168.4.1 255.255.255.0

no ip route-cache

no ip mroute-cache

no cdp enable

frame-relay class ecb

frame-relay interface-dlci 19

frame-relay end-to-end keepalive mode bidirectional

IOS Version 12.4(2)T

I am puzzled why you have posted the content of this old discussion. It seems that you had a problem and that a reasonable explanation of the problem was provided. I do not see anything new about this. What would you want us to do?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: