cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 2.5.1 : DCR resolve devices by Sysname

wilfred malana
Level 1
Level 1

How do I make devices in DCR show Sysname instead of IP addresses?

Under discovery settings when I uncheck "Use Reverse DNS Lookup", "Resolve by Sysname" is greyed out. I have also tried editing DeviceDiscovery.properties to no avail.

Thanks.

8 Replies 8

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

Perform any of these procedures to prevent Campus Manager overwrite the DisplayNames with IP Address.

1) Define the reverse DNS entry on your DNS server for the managed devices.

2) Upgrade to Campus Manager release 4.0(3) or later.

Campus Manager 4.0(3) is available as part of LMS 2.5 December 2005 Update (LMS 2.5.1) and is available for download at http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/lms25

3) Disable the Use Reverse DNS Lookup in Discovery Settings.

Go to Campus Manager > Admin > Device Discovery > Discovery Settings > Discovery Options. Disable Use Reverse DNS Lookup.

Hi Wilfred,

If you uncheck "Use Reverse DNS Lookup", then the discovery process will not do any lookup (and that is the reason the option for sysname is greyed out in GUI)

So, all devices will be shown with IP addresses.

1. Make sure that you have entries in your DNS server for sysNames on devices. That is, lookup on IP address must return the sysName of the device and reverse lookup on this sysName must return the "same" IP address.

2. Check both the options: "Use Reverse DNS Lookup" and "Resolve By Sysname".

If the reverse DNS lookup based on sysName is successful, then you will see devices in DCR with their sysName. Otherwise, the devices will still be shown with their IP address.

Hope this helps.

-- Vasanth

Thanks Vasanth,

The problem is that the DNS has the wrong info of my devices and I have no control of that box.

What I've been doing is manually editing Display Name in DCR to reflect the SysNames. It's a pain especially in a network with over 1,400 devices.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1) The DNS server doesn't have the correct information on my devices and I do not have control to that box nor the person in charge of it is willing to fix it.

2) Running the latest and greatest December update.

3) I have also tried that with no luck.

What I might end up doing is to create a host fle on the server. Is there a way to export devices from Ciscoworks that will give me the corresponding SysNames of my devices?

If the devices are in DCR, then use the export feature in DCR to export them to a csv file. MS Excel should be able to read the csv file and you can get the sysNames and IP addresses from it as a list.

Hope this helps.

-- Vasanth

Yes all the devices are in DCR but export output doesn't list the SysNames. Under CM the SysNames show up on the map but I can't get an export output with the SysNames.

Thanks for the help. I have a TAC case open for this, but I haven't anything from my initial contact. Another engineer just e-mailed me today asking for some info I already gave them.

Why can't Ciscoworks give you the option of using the SNMP SysName to populate the field, instead of using DNS hostnames?

paul.dulaba
Level 1
Level 1

Has anybody solved this yet? I don't want to create DNS entries for all my devices, I want to use sysName.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: