cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reseting 3550 Switch

kradjesh13
Level 1
Level 1

Can any one tell me how to reset the catalyst 3550 switch to the factory default setting. I have tried using the set of passwords. Unfortunately i couldn’t enter into the switch and I was told to reset the switch.

Can any one send me the document or set of rules to reset the Switch.

Thanks

Rajesh

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Rajesh,

The following document guides you through the procedure:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_2900xl.html

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

View solution in original post

Hello Rajesh,

try ´erase:nvram´. If that doesn´t work, do a ´dir flash:´ to see if there are any configuration files in there. If so, you can delete those with the command ´delete flash:filename´...

HTH,

GP

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Rajesh,

The following document guides you through the procedure:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_2900xl.html

Paresh

Rajesh,

I should add that this procedure will let you get into the switch. Once you are in, then you can reset the configuration file ...

Paresh

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Rajesh,

I think you need to recover the password from your 3550 and once done you can delete the config from your 3550 switch.

Just go through this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801cdf31.html#1178306

HTH

Ankur

Thanks guys...

I used your procedures and resetted the switch. This is the first time and afraid initially to play with the falsh and stuffs. Because of your docs i got a clear idea and fixed the issue.

Once again thanks guys

Rajesh

Hai guys..i have one more question from you.

To remove the default configs, i gave erase startup and then restart. But still i can find the old configs. How to remove the old configs and to start once again from the scratch.

Thanks

Rajesh

Hello Rajesh,

try ´erase:nvram´. If that doesn´t work, do a ´dir flash:´ to see if there are any configuration files in there. If so, you can delete those with the command ´delete flash:filename´...

HTH,

GP

Hi Rajesh,

In addition to GP what you can do just try erase running-config and then save then wr mem and reload.

HTH

Ankur

Hi,

I tried all the possible ways that was suggested by you guys like erase nvram, delete flash: config.text and erase startup. Unfortunately non of that worked. I did a show version to check the registry settings and I noted it in 0x10F.

I tried to change the registry applying the config-register command but it dosen't allow me.

I am not sure why I cannot delete any of my previous configs. If you have any idea plz share with me.

Thanks,

Rajesh

Hi Rajesh,

Your config-register is fine.

Try the following command:

delete nvram:startup-config

Once you do that, reload the switch. If it asks you to save the config, enter in 'no'.

Paresh

Hi,

I tried applying the command, delete nvram:startup-config and the command is not being accepted. I tried the help and this are the following I got.

switch10#delete ?

/force Force delete

/recursive Recursive delete

flash: File to be deleted

switch10#erase nvram: ?

switch10#erase nvram ?

So, is there other way to fix this.

Thanks

Rajesh

Hi Rajesh,

Can you post the output of:

show file systems

dir nvram:

Thanks,

Paresh.

Atlast the issue has been fixed after trying all the alternatives by switching off the power. After i switched on, I couldn’t find any configs what ever i had earlier.

To confirm my self, i gave the host name, vlan1 ip address and saved the configs, reloaded and powered off and onned. After booting every thing seems to be fine. Once again to remove this, i issued erase nvram:, reloaded and now every thing seems to be working fine.

I d’t know why it acted strange earlier even while using the same procedures and configs.

If any of you people knew plz share with me.

Thanks Paresh for your quick response and help.

Regards

Rajesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco