Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Best practice to connect 2 pvst+ clouds via a WAN

Unanswered Question
Feb 4th, 2006
User Badges:

My company need to interconnect 2 Sites both configured with multiple vlans. Each vlan on a site has a matching vlan in the other site (same subnetwork). We have already purchased a LL of 2 Mbps with X21/V11 interface between the 2 sites and I need to configure both routers that interconnect the 2 sites in such a way that :

- the WAN link behave like a LAN extension, in such a way that for example a flooding of arp broadcasts on a vlan would extend to the other site.

- there are a couple of vlans in one site that need to be translated with a different vlan-id in the other site, in such a way that for example a flooding of arp broadcasts in vlan 2 in Site 1 would flood in vlan 3 in Site 2.

I suggest the following suggestion, but can't do any test before the delivery of the line and the routers :

- Both routers interconnecting the 2 sites could be configured with as many 802.1Q subinterfaces as vlan-ids on the LAN side and as many tunnel virtual interfaces as vlan-ids on the WAN side. Then, configure bridging between each subinterface and tunnel interface using "bridge" command.

Is this solution acceptable, or is there a better practise (assuming that the LL is already purchased and cannot be replaced by an ethernet solution).

Thanks for your help

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
pkhatri Sat, 02/04/2006 - 03:30
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

Hi Jerome,

In the absence of an ethernet solution, your options are very limited. What you have proposed should work okay. However, you will need to be careful of the amount of inter-site traffic and the contention for WAN bandwidth between different VLANs. I would consider the use of a QoS service-policy on the WAN interfaces at each site in order to ensure a fair allocation of bandwidth between the VLANs...

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Actions

This Discussion