cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding the Router product line

ge4sat
Level 1
Level 1

I'm in the process of doing a comparison between the newer 2800 (2811 to be exact) vs. a 3725. I am finding (or atleast it appears) that it is apples to oranges. I noticed that I can find things like "packets per second" for the 3725, but the 2800 series talks about lots of slots and abilities for things like VoIP. Can someone help me to understand the difference between what they are calling an Access Router (3725 etc) and a Multi-Service Router (2800 etc..)? I consult for a wireless ISP and which has currently a 45Mbps 802.11A backbone. Right now is is a switched backbone with 2611XM's doing InterVLAN routing. We are moving to a routed network and feel we need to upgrade the routers.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you looked at the Cisco Product Quick Reference Guide (QRG)? The QRG is a good place to start for comparison of the various products and product lines. See http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/752/qrg/ for access.

Generally the 2811 would be good for a T-1 or two on the WAN side and the 3725 can accommodate higher speed WAN interfaces along with higher density port cards.

The 3725 will generally have more CPU horsepower but the AIM modules available on the 2800 series may offset that advantage depnding on what services you see your environment needing to use.

The 3700 series is also more expandable via a wider selection of interface cards.

Hope this helps - please rate the post if it does.

Yup, I registered to be notified when the February QRG was released. I went to Amamzon to try and get the older one, but it cant be found. Do you have any idea where I can find the July one until the February edition is published?

Thanks Again

I can e-mail you a copy of the relevant chapter if you'd like. Send me a message to mklemovitch@switchanddata.com

Ok, I sent the email. Thanks again for all your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: