Views
Helpful
Replies

SNASW directory

a.mountouris
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Forum,

this case is somewhat peculiar. We do not have any problem however I would like your opinion on this.

We have an AS/400 downstream to a cisco 7206. Upstream is of course an IBM z/Series M/F.

The AS/400 is supposed to be configured as EN with LU6.2 support. Then through the SNASw it is connected to the M/F.

The thing here is that I do not see the cpname of the AS/400 on the show snsaw directory command. However this entry appears on the show snasw link command.

I do ont know why, but everything wokrs perfect! I thought that if the cpname of the downstream PU does not appear in the directory, then no LU 6.2 to LU 6.2 communication would be permitted.

Can you explain this?

1 Reply 1

rclousto
Level 1
Level 1

It is possible that the AS/400 is indicating "search me" on it's CP Capabilities when it starts CP-CP sessions with SNASw. This means it will not register its LUs, but instead wants it's NN server to forward ALL Locate searches to it.

Take a look at the DLC trace next time the AS/400 connects in. In the CP Capabilities (x12C1), look at CV33, byte 2, bit 0. If this bit is on, the AS/400 requests to be searched.

I think this is pretty inefficient, as it takes away one of the features of SNASw, which is the ability to limit its role in network searches. I don't know how to control the "search me" feature in AS/400, but I recommend turning it off. This will cause the AS/400 to register its LUs, and receive searches only for LUs it actually owns.

This is the only explanation I can think of for what you are seeing.

Regards,

Bob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: