cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless channel setup on multiple floors

mistryj
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone tell me what channels to set inorder to avoid distortion when you have multiple floors. I know that channels 1, 6 and 11 are recommended for single floors but what do you apply for multiple floors ?

3 Replies 3

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Channels 1, 6, and 11. Use channel one for the first floor, channel 6 for the second, channel 11 for the third, channel 1 for the fourth, 6 for the fifth ... (etc).

If you need additional density for a floor, then put units with 1 in the NE corner, 6 in the SW corner on the first floor, 6 in the NE corner and 11 in the SW corner of the second floor, 11 in the NE corner and 1 in the SW corner of the third ...

You can put 'em anywhere, but stagger the locations so that the same channels are at opposite corners or sides from the adjacent floors.

Good Luck

Scott

We have 4 floors with 6 APs per floor and currently we are experiencing connections drops with the network. When using netstumbler 1-2 APs appeared from the floors below each other.

This is a 3 dimensional layout of what has been currently setup today. Had the same problem with 6,11 and 1. Power set to 30mW. Any ideas why the network keeps droping ?

Floor 29. 1 7 11

------------------

11 1 4

---------------------------------

Floor 30 11 4 1

--------------------

4 7 11

Floor 31 1 7 11

---------------------

7 11 4

Floor 32 11 4 1

---------------------

1 7 11

Channel 7 will interfere with channels 6 and 11.

Channel 4 will interfere with channels 1 and 6.

The only channels that do not overlap are 1, 6, and 11.

If you've distributed the APS such that none of the "same channel" APs are visible to each other (or shouldn't be visible to each other) ... then your options are to turn down the power and / or change to a different antenna (i.e., "sector" antennas... like a patch antenna).

This is where a good site survey is especially worth the time & money.

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card