WIC-2T which contain 2 serial ports

other than the number of ports what is the difference

thanks

6 Replies 6

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

The HWIC cards support a much greater bus bandwidth (400 Mbps) than the WIC cards. Therefore, they are able to support a much higher port density than and greater speeds than the WICs. You can insert WICs in HWIC slots but not vice versa.

It also has a third row of pins, supporting power over ethernet and Cisco inline power. You can also get them in two form factors - single-wide or double-wide.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

thank you Pkhatri,

but let's talk mor specific as i said

for example what is the difference between the

HWIC-4T which contain 4 serial ports

and

WIC-2T which contain 2 serial ports

both of them serial is there is any diference other than the number of ports??

speed for example?

Ok,

Yep, there are some differences apart from the number of ports.

The HWIC-4T can support up to 8Mbps on each port at the same time (for a total of 32 Mbps) on all supported platforms (it's not supported on the 1800 series routers).

The throughput possible on the WIC-2T depends on the platform it is installed in:

* Supports one port at 8 Mbps when used in NM-1FE1R2W, NM-1FE2W, NM-2FE2W, or NM-2W, or Cisco 2600 chassis WIC slots. All other WIC ports on that network module or Cisco 2600 chassis must not be used.

* Supports two ports at 4 Mbps each when used in NM-1FE1R2W, NM-1FE2W, NM-2FE2W, or NM-2W, or Cisco 2600 chassis WIC slots. All other WIC ports on that network module or Cisco 2600 chassis must not be used.

* Supports 8 Mbps on all ports simultaneously on 2691, 3725, and 3745. No restrictions. Maximum six ports at 8 Mbps each.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Hi Paresh,

thanks for the info

from where can i read such these information

which documents should i read ?

thanks

Hi Basil,

There is really no better place than the data sheets for the products.

Here are links to the relevant datasheets:

(HWIC-4T) http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5949/products_qanda_item0900aecd80274424.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/107/wic-2t.shtml

Hope that helps,

Paresh

I think this question this thread is well answered and can be closed. You said that the bus has 400Mbps bandwidth and the 4T card can take 32Mbps, and that is the complete answer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: