cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to configure a 2950 for modem dial-in via console?

bschmi
Level 1
Level 1

This is a direct US Robotics modem to 2950 console connection (no control port manager). I've tried following the "dial-in router" guide and the "Connecting a Modem to the Console Port on Catalyst Switches" guide, but haven't had any success. I did find some modem command lines when attempting to config the console, but the switch tells me it's unsupported:

FP03C2903(config-line)#modem dialin

% Line 0 does not support modem control

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

6 Replies 6

Bobby Thekkekandam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Try the steps listed here:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/2.html

HTH,

Bobby

Please rate if helpful!

Thanks for your assistance, but I had already visited that info and it didn't help. The modem commands listed for the US robotics make my modem freeze, and I'm unable to config line 0 on the switch with dial-in options. The swithc tells me it is unsupported. I don't think it is possible but I was just hoping I may have missed something. Thanks again.

You shouldn't need to configure the modem dial-in paramaters, as the console port does not support RS232 modem control, as an aux port would.

on the switch, you do not need to configure anything at all, although configuring an exec-timeout on the console port is recommended.

For a USR modem:

1) Set dip switches to 3,8 down, all others up

2) Connect modem to PC

3) Run hyperterminal and connect to modem at 9600 baud

4) Send init string: at&fs0=1&c1&h0&d2&r2&b1&m4&k0&n6&w

5) Set dip switches to 1,4,8 down, all others up

6) Connect modem to console port with appropriate cable

Or try these other init strings:

at&f0s0=1&b0&n6&u6&m4&k0&w

AT&FS0=1&C1&D3&B1&K1&M4&W

HTH,

Bobby

Bobby,

Following your instructions to the letter, I was still uanble to access the switch via console. I tried 3 different/new switches, 2 different modems, and 3 different cables (including corss-over).

I really appreciate you following up on this post. Thanks again!

-Brad-

_microsin
Level 1
Level 1

If you mean using modem to configure 2950, see link below (language is russian):

http://microsin.ru/html/cisco_content.html#ciscoAndModem

anderson327
Level 1
Level 1
Hi dears, you remember how resolved this issue?
I have the same problem.
Please, help me.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco