Views
Helpful
Replies

Figuring out IOS release numbers

jamiegaylord
Level 1
Level 1

Hey there,

I'm an auditor trying to figure out EOE/EOL IOS releases. I think I have issues with some of the releases we have. But before I make that comment on an audit I want to be certain.

I have a number of 2610XM's with 12.2.(13)T16. I think that version has reached it's EOE based on Product release lifecyle. Would this release be part of the 12.2T family? Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks

Jamie

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You may need CCO access to view the first link.

You are correct. According to the last link I posted, it says 12.2T train EOE was Nov 2004. T stands for the T train.

HTH

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

View solution in original post

Hello,

Early in Cisco’s history, the need for at least two trains for releasing Cisco IOS Software emerged:

1) A train for bug fixes—mainline

2) A train for bug fixes and new features—T train

With two trains, Cisco could introduce new features in a Cisco IOS release from one train without affecting the code base of the other train.

Mainline trains, such as 12.2, are built from previous generation T trains, such as 12.1T. Mainline trains, such as 12.2, are parents of other trains, such as 12.2T

Additional information regarding IOS can be found in the following white paper:

Cisco IOS Reference Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1828/products_white_paper09186a008018305e.shtml

Hope this answers your question.

Regards

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

I am still able to download this IOS. Here is the list of retired IOSes.

http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/library/iosplanner/retired.shtml

This list does not show the IOS you have listed.

Even though the link below shows 12.2T train was EOE Nov 2004.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1839/prod_bulletin0900aecd801eda8a.html

EOE means they wont make any patches, updates to this train any more.

You may still find it for download, as long as the version is not deferred.

I would suggest you migrate to 12.4 if you want support on any issues.

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate replies!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Thanks for the link. I thought it was general information page but apparently I don't have access to it. Does the "T" at the end mean train?

To clarify, just because I can download the IOS does not mean that fixes are available correct?

You may need CCO access to view the first link.

You are correct. According to the last link I posted, it says 12.2T train EOE was Nov 2004. T stands for the T train.

HTH

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Hello,

Early in Cisco’s history, the need for at least two trains for releasing Cisco IOS Software emerged:

1) A train for bug fixes—mainline

2) A train for bug fixes and new features—T train

With two trains, Cisco could introduce new features in a Cisco IOS release from one train without affecting the code base of the other train.

Mainline trains, such as 12.2, are built from previous generation T trains, such as 12.1T. Mainline trains, such as 12.2, are parents of other trains, such as 12.2T

Additional information regarding IOS can be found in the following white paper:

Cisco IOS Reference Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1828/products_white_paper09186a008018305e.shtml

Hope this answers your question.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card