cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Mode not staying set?

raun.williams
Level 3
Level 3

I was configuring a C3560-48PS for deployment in my new job and I asked my boss if he wanted to review my config before I setup a swap time. He did and came back to me stating I needed to set the switch to be a VTP client on suchandsuch domain. Hmm.. I thought I did that. So I con'd the switch, conf t, vtp mode client, vtp domain ABC123, ctrl-z. did a status on vtp, in client mode. great! So did a copy ru star and reloaded. Switch came up, just for grins did a vtp status. It's back in server mode (the switch is not currently on the network). Hmm.. So I inquired to my boss, he was puzzled and suggested an IOS upgrade. I loaded up the 12.2(25)SEE version. reloaded. attempt to set vtp to client again, saved, reloaded. and it's STILL saying it's in server mode. What the heck? This should be a fairly simple process. Any idea?

6 Replies 6

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

The process is almost simple as you assume!

You probably missed one step:

I think you should exit the vtp config mode using "exit". It is then that the changes are applied.

After that you may terminate config mode with ctrl-z or end. Don't forget to save and good luck with your new job! ;-)

Regards,

Leo

Thank you for the reply.

EXIT will save your vlan / vtp config in the vlan database and then drop you back to host#. However, in configure terminal, exit will drop you back to the next top layer or root of the configuration. If your at root, it'll drop you to host# as well, just like END or CTRL-Z. Regardless. I tried your suggestion anyways, same result :( help..

jarathbu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The default is VTP Server with a NULL domain. VLAN and VTP data is stored within the flash:vlan.dat file. If you change the VTP mode to client first, client's can't change VTP attributes per se. If you don't have a vlan.dat file in flash and you change vtp to client and then save - these changes will not be applied. However, while in default server mode, simply set the domain name, then save the config, verify you have a vlan.dat file - then you can make any changes you like (see attachment).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

James

gah.. i knew it had to be something so simple. always is. Thank you very much. I appreciate that text file, very helpful in explaining as well.

Curious though, I can understand that when you set it to client, it won't change the domain. But why would it not save the fact you changed it to client? Is this because there was not vlan.dat file, as there wasn't. And what would cause the vlan.dat file not to be there?

Hello,

As you said this was a NEW switch - I suspect there wasn't a vlan.dat file to start with.

Regards,

James

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: