cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 871 DNS error message

sugar2ferret
Level 1
Level 1

hi, I got my first cisco rouer... its a 871 (no wireless) and i have settings for a static cable ip address... and after setup and tested i recibed this message:

in my WANTroubleshootingReport.html i got this at the bottom of the report:

Troubleshooting Results:

- Failure Reason(s)

No configured DNS server(s) are routable through the selected interface.

- Recommended Action(s):

Select 'Enter IP address or hostname' option or add a 'host specific/network specific/default' route through this interface and retest connection.

how can i fix it? NOTE that i cannot find that 'Enter IP address or hostname' option anywhere in the menus...

thanks in advacne

10 Replies 10

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Your probably most likely looks like with lack of a default route in your router. In CLI, it would appear like,

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

There may be a menu item to set this from the administrative interface you are using (Is it CRWS ?)

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I cannot access to the command line interfase (i suppos that means CLI)

i am using this settings as the online manual says (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008045d293.html#wp1018648)

•9600 baud

•8 data bits

•No parity

•1 stop bit

•No flow control

and what is CRWS?

also have a question... as i said, i have a 871 router.. and the CD i recibed with it only have these options:

- 831,836 or 837

- SB101,SB106 or SB107

- 1701 or 1710

- 1711 or 1712

- 1751 or 1751-V

- 1760 or 1760-V

- 2600XM

and the "851,857,871,876,877 or 878" (wich would be my option) option its html commented or DISABLED in other words...

what should i do?

thanks

I cannot access to the command line interfase (i suppos that means CLI)

i am using this settings as the online manual says (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008045d293.html#wp1018648)

•9600 baud

•8 data bits

•No parity

•1 stop bit

•No flow control

and what is CRWS?

also have a question... as i said, i have a 871 router.. and the CD i recibed with it only have these options:

- 831,836 or 837

- SB101,SB106 or SB107

- 1701 or 1710

- 1711 or 1712

- 1751 or 1751-V

- 1760 or 1760-V

- 2600XM

and the "851,857,871,876,877 or 878" (wich would be my option) option its html commented or DISABLED in other words...

what should i do?

thanks

I would check the cable you are using ? Is it the console cable that came with the router ?

What do you see on your terminal emulator (Hyperterm or similar), when you hit the return key (blank or junk characters ??)

Sankar.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

I unpacked cafelesss the twho yellow cables... how can i know wich one is the console cable?

thanks

The console cable is usually a light blue color..

Paresh

thanks i found the cable and i setup the default route ip address and it is working like a charm now!

thanks...

only one more question...: when i go to the router admin sofware (SDM) and go to Firewall and ACL > Instant messaging, it says that i need the new IOS sofware and that i can download it from cisco.com, and when i go to http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/ it says that i need to logon... but is supposly that i am loggen on because i am in the forum and i have my username and password... do i need a special kind of account in order to download the OIS sofware....?

thanks

CCO account have different privileges, depending upon whether you have a valid smartnet contract added under the id, or if you work for a Cisco partner, or if you are a CCIE. Then there is guest access which is what I believe you are having. With guest CCO account you wont be able to download all IOS images. You need to have smartnet maintenance contract for your router and then add the contract under your CCO login to gain privileged access to CCO Software center.

HTH

Sankar

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

O my God... i purchase my 871 cisco from ebay... its a new one... but i didnt got any contract or some like that... is there anything i can do?

thanks in advance.

Here is a picture of how it usually looks like.

http://www.anthonypanda.com/product.php?prd_id=166&opt_id=235

One end has a db9 connector while the other end has a rj 45 connector.

Sometimes you may find both ends with rj 45 connector and a separate db9 to rj45 adapter also incuded. (old router packages used to come in this fashion)

HTH

Sankar

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card