Views
Helpful
Replies

Queuing on Catalyst 4500 SVI interface

e-chuah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi..

I have a pair of catalyst 4500 core switch which is dual link to two Cisco WAN router.

Would like to know if QoS (queuing) can be applied to L3 interface vlan.

e.g,

interface vlan 10

ip address x.x.x.x

service-policy output SHAPE

will this work on Cat 4500 ?

2 Replies 2

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

On an interface configured for QoS, all traffic received or sent through the interface is classified, policed, and marked according to the policy map attached to the interface. However, if the interface is configured to use VLAN-based QoS (using the qos vlan-based command), the traffic received or sent through the interface is classified, policed, and marked according to the policy map attached to the VLAN (configured on the VLAN interface) to which the packet belongs. If there is no policy map attached to the VLAN to which the packet belongs, the policy map attached to the interface is used.

If the ingress service policy includes a policer (for example police 100000 8000 exceed-action drop). Does this apply to the aggregate traffic or per-flow? The documentation doesn't detail this.

I am specifically looking at creating an ingress service policy to classify & police Voice traffic (on the Voice VLAN) and classify & police the Data Traffic (on the Data VLAN). With a 3560 etc I would normally create a policy and use classes to match against the source subnet and port(s) of the various traffic types thereby identifying the voice & data traffic, this policy would be attached to the ingress of the physical interface. Is it possible to use vlan-based qos and attach the service policy to the SVI interface and get the same results or would the police action apply to all traffic on a whole or per flow?

We have Sup5-10G which seem to support microflow policing but the documentation doesn't detail how this works if applied to a SVI?

Thanks

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: