Views
Helpful
Replies

Stuck in boot mode...PLEASE HELP!

brad_olson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello:

I just upgraded the IOS on a 2500 series router, and the router will NOT come out of boot mode no matter what I try. The config registry is correct (0x2102), but no go. Any ideas? I have reloaded, repushed the IOS, power cycled.

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad Olson

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brad

Can you post the messages sent to the console while it attempts to boot. These would be helpful in identifying the problem and would point toward what the solution might be.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

OK, now I can get it into regular boot mode, but it will not load the IOS file, and the router stayes down. If I change to 0x2101, it will come up in boot mode. I am remote to the router, but my onsite says it says (paraphrasing here, sorry):

Error loading file c2500-i-l.geo-V123_16A-sc56019-vani from flash.

Thanks Again,

Brad

Brad

That is a fairly unusual file name for an IOS image. Can you tell us what it is? Also knowing the amount of flash and of memory in the router would be helpful.

My guess is that there is something incompatible about that image and the machine you are trying to run it on. There are a number of things that could be issues, some of the most common are an image that will not fit the available memory, an image for a different hardware platform, or something like that. Have you tried reloading the original software (to eliminate the possibility of hardware issues)?

I have seen situations where a router would not load its image because its memory or flash was not properly seated (especially if the hardware had been moved recently). I do not know if reseating memory and flash would improve things for you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

jarathbu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

It could be due to faulty flash or a corrupted image. What size is the new image versus the old image? The 2500 has 2 8mb flash SIMMs. Hope that helps.

Regards,

James

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card