power down during performing factory reset process on 7970

Unanswered Question
Feb 28th, 2006
User Badges:

Several 7970 phones have been power down during performing factory reset process since PoE switch power was off during factory reset process.

Currently a couple of IP Phones are still not used in the storage since he don't know how to make them works.

I have also gone through 7970 administration guide but no helpful comment is not there.

Any one can share your expertise with me?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Erick Bergquist Tue, 02/28/2006 - 05:11
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Just to clarify, while the phones were being reset to factory defaults they lost power?

What do the phones do now? Do you see anything, have a chance to get into a menu at all to do anything?

There may be corruption, etc if they were powered down during they were in the process of being reset to factory defaults.

jaejang Wed, 03/01/2006 - 05:40
User Badges:

When phone is linked to PoE switch, 8 keys on the right-hand side of LCD screen is sequentially blinking top-down. After a few minutes laters same symptom takes place again periodically permanently.

I can't see any menu on LCD as nothing comes up on LCD even 30 min. later after power on.

Do you think it is corrupted?

Erick Bergquist Wed, 03/01/2006 - 07:56
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

It sounds like losing power during the reset was going on caused a problem. I'm not sure if there is a way to recover or if they need to be replaced. I suggest you open a TAC case.

Aaron Harrison Wed, 03/01/2006 - 08:08
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more
  • Community Spotlight Award,

Member's Choice, May 2015

Hi

I had a phone in a similar state, it was completely useless... I built a console cable for it, and could see it trying to TFTP a particular image from the server - this image wasn't on the server and I'm sure it never was... I suspect it must have been the original load or something.

Anyway - make a serial cable, and plug it in. Start up the phone, and see what the debug shows you - it's quite easily readable.

You should be able to see where it fails. To fix mine I had to put the software it was looking for on the TFTP server and it fixed itself - I had to get someone on this forum to supply me the software as I couldn't find it anywhere...

Serial Cable (same for 7970 and 7960 regardless of software):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5187/prod_troubleshooting_guide_chapter09186a0080558541.html#wp1041428

Aaron

Actions

This Discussion