cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trying to decide which SUP Engine to buy .....

crumdub12
Level 1
Level 1

A Chairde,

Have a 7609 with a WS-SUP720-3BXL Supervisor Engine, and need to buy another chassis (7606) to increase capacity , and put some reliability into our network, if either chassis/SUP Card blow, we can change cards to other chassis.

One question I have, I have to decide whether to buy a WS-SUP720-3BXL or a SUP7203B Card , does anyone have any opinions which s the best value for money ????

5 Replies 5

konigl
Level 7
Level 7

Which is the best value for the money depends on what you want to be able to do with it.

If you don't need the extra capability of the PFC3BXL and the additional 512MB of memory (for 1GB total memory), the Supervisor 720 with PFC3B and only 512MB of memory should be fine.

I have a pair of 6509s with a Sup720-3B in each, receiving full BGP Internet routes and switching 34 Gigabit Ethernet connections, with ingress and egress ACLs on 28 of those 34 Gig Ethernet links. Memory utilization on the Sup720 is at 45%, and CPU utilization averages 5-10%. Plenty of room for growth, in my case at least.

You can save some money now by buying the Sup720-3B now vs. purchasing the Sup720-3BXL. If you find you need the capabilities of the -3BXL later, you can purchase the upgrade kit. Cost of the kit, at least at list price, is equal to the difference in cost between the two Sup720 modules. But you'll need some downtime to perform the upgrade.

If the cost of the downtime for the upgrade will set you back more than the cost of just buying the Sup720-3BXL, then go with the -3BXL up front. Saves you the hassle of upgrading later. (I was going to buy the -3BXL up front for exactly this reason; but downgraded from -3BXL to just -3B to free up budget money for another project.)

Difference between sup720-3bxl and sup720-3b is only in memory amount. Rest of hardware is the same. If you order upgrade kit you will only get 1GB memory module. My advice is buy sup720-3b and upgrade memory on SUP to 1GB, on MSFC3 to 1GB and on PFC3B to 1GB and that will solve your problems for much less money.

However depending on your traffic patterns and amount chance is that you will be able to operate for some time without upgrade.

Regards,

Damirs,

Thanks for reply, have already ordered 3b , when I checked seen was only larger (should have seen the XL !!!) , but this information adds to my business case.

Slan / Ed

Dear all,

Can we have redundancy between SUP720 and SUP720-3BXL ?

For redundancy purposes hardware must be the same.

But when you read several posts before this I think you can solve your problem.

Regards,