Views
Helpful
Replies

error message IOS fw, 12.4.3b

jjoensen
Level 1
Level 1

Does anybody know, what this log entry means:

%FW-3-RESPONDER_WND_SCALE_INI_NO_SCALE: Dropping packet - Invalid Window Scale option for session <IP> to <IP>

No result from searching neither cisco.com nor the error message decoder.

Thanks, JJ

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

I m seeing your post for couple of days now what i would suggest here is do raise a case with TAC also and try to get their feedbacks on this.

regds

Thanks !

My CCO login doesn't give access to the TAC tool, and tac@cisco.com replies, that it has to go that way around - however I don't think I'll bother with escalating the case through our Cisco pusher, so I'll just wait for updated documentation :-( (hmm.. a minor but annoying case for my future contribution to the costumer satisfaction survey - I mean, it's not a rocket science question !)

Regards JJ

ertrqueen
Level 1
Level 1

I did open a TAC case because I was also seeing this problem on certain websites, and couldn't find any doc at all on this message (except for the postings here on NPC). This message is tied to bug id CSCsc37281 - here is the text from the bug notes:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Currently, IOS CBAC (Context-Based Access Control) enforces strict checking for the TCP Window Scale option per RFC1323 section 2. Unfortunately, this creates a problem when the TCP stacks on the end devices are not RFC compliant. As a result, TCP connections between such end devices may not establish with CBAC enabled.

This is an enhancement request to have the firewall provide more user configurable options when dealing with the TCP window scale option.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And here's a link to the bug (requires registered access):

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCsc37281&Submit=Search

It appears to be platform-independent, and started occurring in 12.4 (I've seen it in 12.4(5) and am currently seeing it in 12.4(7)). Fixed in versions are 12.4(6.6)T, 12.4(7.23) - which means the next T and mainline release should have the fix incorporated.

So I guess we just have to be patient and wait for the next release. But it sure would be nice if this error message was documented somewhere........

Thanks ! :-) /JJ

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: