cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Blade Switch

michal.grzelak
Level 1
Level 1

I am having problems with configuring speed on uplink ports on cisco blade switches (Cisco Gigabit Ethernet Switch Module for HP BladeSystem p-Class). I can configure fixed speed on uplink ports (Gi0/19-22) but after reload I am getting message that this command was rejected:

------------------------------

speed 1000

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

------------------------------

and then auto-1000 speed is specified.I need fixed speeds on those ports.What is strange that access ports (Gi0/1-18) dont have this problems.I excluded firmare problem,vlan,vtp negotation. The problem is still recouring even if I configure this ports only with speed comand and nothing more. Could someone give me some clues? Thanks

8 Replies 8

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Althiough I cannot be absolutely sure I assume that you are using a GB-only-capable port. On such ports you cannot configure speed negotiation while the hardware cannot do anything but Gigabit.

There should be no need to configure the speed to 1000-fixed. The port will be at that speed anyway.

Regards,

Leo

Checked that olso,ports are 10/100/1000/auto Base-TX with half/full/auto duplex, so it seems that it is not an issue. I am getting this problem after this communicate:

-----------------------

cisco 371098-001 (PowerPC405) processor (revision B0) with 118784K/12280K bytes

of memory.

Processor board ID FOC0948T07C

Last reset from power-on

1 Virtual Ethernet interface

24 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.

512K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.

Base ethernet MAC Address : 00:15:FA:D2:1A:00

Motherboard assembly number : 73-9666-09

Motherboard serial number : FOC09480QLE

Model revision number : B0

Motherboard revision number : A0

Model number : 371098-001

Daughterboard assembly number : 73-9697-04

Daughterboard serial number : FOC09480SJU

System serial number : FOC0948T07C

Top Assembly Part Number : 800-25741-01

Top Assembly Revision Number : C0

Version ID : V01

Daughterboard revision number : A0

Hardware Board Revision Number : 0x02

Switch Ports Model W Version SW Image

--- ----- ----- ----------

* 1 24 371098-001 12.2(25)SED CGESM-LANBASEK9-M

speed 1000

^

speed 1000

^

speed 1000

^

speed 1000

^

Press RETURN to get started!

-----------

Maybe there the answer lays. Do You know what is happeing then?

This might be a hardware issue. It is not unusual to have 4 ASIC's that handle 6 ports each. The last one handles port 19-24.... If the blade is new I would consider asking for a replacement. Otherwise, it depends on your maintenance contract.

Regards,

Leo

I was not quite satisfied with my last reply so I checked around on CCO. Did you check the release notes? My goodness, I am amazed that this thing appears to work! First of all this bug might apply:

CSCsc26726

Sometimes interfaces Gi0/23 & Gi0/24 will not link up with another switch when the interface speed is set

to an explicit value instead of autonegotiated. This does not happen when a copper SFP is used with

interfaces Gi0/17 - Gi0/20.

The workaround is to autonegotiate the speed with the other device, or to use a different cable type. Use

a straight through cable for switch to switch connection, or a cross-over cable for switch to any non switch

device connection. If the other device is capable of auto MDIX even with speed not set to auto, then use

that. When an improper cable is used only one side of the connection needs to use auto MDIX to achieve

a link.

For more admitted misery please check the release notes yourself at:

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps6238/c1178/ccmigration_09186a00805e9dfe.pdf

Regards,

Leo

lgijssel,

Thanks for an answer.The ASIC doubts may not be correct becouse it is a blade switch,which has one virtual ethernet port(Gi0/1-18) and 4 independent SFP's as uplinks 10/100/1000Base-T.I would have only one peace of that switch I would think it might be problem with hardware, but our company got 32 blade switches and I have tested 4 of them with the same resultat. Also we have a few alredy working in production enviroment and they also can not get fixed speed on uplinks and autonegotiate the speed with counterpart. We have contacted with HP, maybe they know this issue, but I am trying to find a way of it by myself and ask professionalist on forums :) Do You have any other idea what may cause this behaviour?

The cisco blade switch manual also says that it is possible to assign fixed speed to SFP uplink ports:

• For SFP module ports, the speed and duplex CLI options change depending on the SFP module type:

– The 1000BASE-x (where -x is -BX, -CWDM, -LX, -SX, and -ZX) SFP module ports support

the nonegotiate keyword in the speed interface configuration command. Duplex options are not

supported.

– The 1000BASE-T SFP module ports support the same speed and duplex options as the

10/100/1000-Mbps ports.

– The 100BASE-x (where -x is -BX, -FX, -FX-FE, and - LX) SFP module ports support only

100 Mbps. These modules

Regards,

Michal

First of all, I must say that I have no previous experience with this blade. With the additional info that you supplied I can only suspect a software-related problem. This does not really surprise me after having read the rel.notes.

Therefore, I am afraid that your only viable option will be to open a TAC-case for this. With 32 boards on stock you should at least get some priority.

Regards,

Leo

I did more tests and find out more. I suppose it is software bug. If I use speed 100 % dupex full and reload it remains but when I use speed 1000 & duplex full command enters,select link speed for 1000 Mb full, but after reload while loading configuration it rejects the command. As I heard HP modifies cisco iso for HP blade switches so I need open case for HP.If gor some response I put the answer to that topic, maybe someone have the same problem as I do.

Meanwhile if anyone knows why it happens, please give me a note.

Regards:

Michal

I don't belive that that SFP GLC-T can be used at less at 1GB speed.

Eric

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: