Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sessions drop using 'reliable static routing'

Hi all, need a little help !

As per attached diagram, I have configured 'reliable static routing' to route between two different ISP'S and internet connections. This gives the user some resillience when connecting to a remote server (AS400).

The problem I have is when a user has a session open on the remote server (AS400) using telnet or IBM’S client software, the sessions drop during a failover to the secondary link and they have to re-connect.

‘Reliable Static Routing’ is configured on both routers in the diagram which track (poll) each others ‘f0’ interfaces. If the routers cannot see each other, they instantly point their default-gateway’s at the secondary firewall each end.

Failover appears to take 3-4 seconds and tunnels on both primary and secondary firewalls are contstantly active.

I’m trying to find out why the user sessions are dropping during failover and what ‘config’ I could possibly put in place on each cisco router to help prevent sessions dropping.

One of my routers configs…….

version 12.4

service timestamps debug datetime msec

service timestamps log datetime msec

no service password-encryption

hostname Router1

boot-start-marker

boot-end-marker

enable secret xxx

enable password xxx

no aaa new-model

resource policy

mmi polling-interval 60

no mmi auto-configure

no mmi pvc

mmi snmp-timeout 180

ip cef

no ip domain lookup

ip sla monitor 1

type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 192.168.43.2 source-ipaddr 192.168.99.66

timeout 1000

threshold 2

frequency 3

ip sla monitor schedule 1 life forever start-time now

track 123 rtr 1 reachability

interface Ethernet0

ip address 192.168.99.66 255.255.255.0

half-duplex

interface Ethernet1

ip address 192.168.243.2 255.255.255.252

half-duplex

interface FastEthernet0

ip address 192.168.222.2 255.255.255.0

speed auto

full-duplex

ip local policy route-map MY_LOCAL_POLICY

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.99.1 track 123

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.243.1 254

no ip http server

access-list 101 permit icmp any host 192.168.43.2

route-map MY_LOCAL_POLICY permit 10

match ip address 101

set interface Null0

set ip next-hop 192.168.99.1

control-plane

line con 0

line aux 0

line vty 0 4

password xxx

login

end

7 Replies 7

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Although I find your config very nice, I think that you cannot expect that both sides will make the switch-over at exactly the same time. This will result in unrecoverable packet loss or out of sequence packets. Both of these are likely to cause the problems as described.

When I configure a similar solution I always use GRE tunneling (with IPsec if needed) and a routing protocol to detect link failures. Cisco calls this "DMVPN" nowadays. ;-) I suggest that you should look in that direction also.

Regards,

Leo

Thanks for replying. The reason I have done it like this is to allow the site and user to have continued Internet access through the secondary Internet link.

Would your GRE solution work in this scenairio ?

The GRE is just a different solution for tunneling. I use it because it allows multicast traffic. (EIGRP/OSPF hello)

Preserving Internet connectivity is more about IP routing. If you are reaching the Internet via a proxy that is reachable over the tunnel this will work the same as the current solution. If you are breaking out locally on a router, users may lose connections due to the change-over of their nat-ip adress.

Regards,

Leo

Hi,

The problem you are facing is a perennial problem in the Internet. TCP sessions are bound to the end-point IP addresses and if these change, as is the case with your NAT'ed addresses, the session will drop.

There is currently some work going on in the IETF Shim6 group to get around this problem but I'm afraid that is only for IPv6. So you are stuck with this problem - there isn't much you can do to get around this issue.

Reliable static routing gives you the ability to switch links dynamically and that is all it does - the alternative is to have to do it manually.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

thanks for your comments guys.

The continued internet access is not that important. What is important is users losing their sessions to the remote server accross the vpn when failing over. In this scenairio there is no natting. I guess telnet and client products using telnet are very sensitive.

Not being a 'routing protocol genius' which would you recomend for my scenairio igrp/eigrp/ospf, based on the following requirements.

1. provide connectivity to remote server using both primary and secondary (for backup)

2. provide internet connectivity through either link. (there is no proxy server)

It is important to use a routing protocol that has a short convergence time. EIGRP and OSPF can both deliver this. I would suggest using EIGRP as it is easier to configure.

Providing redundant Internet connectivity is a long standing challenge while it is typically delivered via static routing which is not ideal when there is no connectivity but the interface is not physically down.

I hope that you can sucessfully deliver your server connectivity using this solution, for the second part of your question you should probably look for the most suitable compromise.

Regards,

Leo

maybe a combination of both reliable static routing and eigrp might work.

'reliable static routing' tracking a public address which if fails to respond, replaces the default-gateway to the secondary link. Doesn't matter whether physical interface is up or down in this scenairio, works great !

'eigrp' could be used to monitor only static routes to the remote server

I will have to look into eigrp. Can it be configured to exchange information with a specific remote router, which I assume would also have to be running eigrp.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card